It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
Kelly_ann1980

Default Eating weird stuff

My black/white cat name Joey.He is part Maine Coon. He is strange guy. I don't know why he is soo fascinated with eating toilet paper, paper towel and Kleenx. He would lick it wet, would chew at it and eat little pieces at a time. There is no smell to it. I don't know what attracts him to it. Maybe he is missing something in his diet. I let him eat these weird things. I don't know if it hurts his stomach. Should I stop him from eating these weird stuff. Will it hurt him or does it dissolve in his stomach juices. Does anyone have any kitties that eat stupid things? I want to know if anyone else has strange cats. Please reply. Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-07-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Hi Kelly-Ann,
I would not encourage your cat to eat tissue paper. I would worry that it may block your cats bowel if it consumed too much. I would ask your vets advise as to why your cat does it.
My female cats try to chew polythene bags, they don't eat them they must like the way it feels when they bite through it. Needless to say I keep polythene out of their reach as much as I can, just in case.
All the best,
Angelkiss x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-07-2007   #3 (permalink)
Lila42

Definitely discourage eating anything paper, maybe keep bathroom doors shut at night? ...My cat Cleo picks up anything and I mean anything off of the floor or on the desk and puts it in her food bowl. On any given day I will find rubber bands, paper clips, straw wrappers, you name it, in her food bowl. She doesn't eat it, but places everything she can find in her bowl. One day I found a penny in her bowl. Very odd.

Unread 05-13-2007   #4 (permalink)
Katie85

Both my cats like to chew at cardboard boxes but as they don't eat it I let them do this as I think it is some kind of compulsion, if any cardboard is left anywhere they will find it in minutes - so I keep anything with dye or print out of their way.

I think you should consult a vet as it is tissue paper and other sorts of papers (which would seem to have the same effect on their body) it could be that it could be that they want to make themselves sick, is it a house cat? Are they drinking enough water?

I don't think this will be a serious problem but you should speak to a vet just in case.

Tags
bite , black , bowel , cat , cats , color , diet , eating , female , food , found , hey , house , kitties , maine coon , missing , night , print , problem , raw , sick , smell , stop , vet , water , weird , worry

Sponsored Cat Links