It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2007   #1 (permalink)
paolo b

Default odd cat behavior?

i just noticed that my cat likes to nip on my leg whenever he's hungry.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-02-2007   #2 (permalink)
guidiya

he is trying to get your attention so you could spare time to attend to his needs

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-02-2007   #3 (permalink)
sparrow

He's just gently letting you know that he wants to be fed, and probably also giving you a warning. "Feed me NOW, or your leg is lunch/supper!"

Unread 05-02-2007   #4 (permalink)
aguila_leontwo

she is a Smart not a Globe subscriber''your cat knows you know what Cat wants

Unread 05-02-2007   #5 (permalink)
vjaxxon

and you are just not going to take the hint, are you?just wait til you forget to clean his litterbox...

Unread 05-02-2007   #6 (permalink)
OhWhatCanIDo

Vjaxxon is right. Wait till you forget to clean the litterbox!Your cat is just letting you know he needs something. He's getting your attention. It worked, too!,

Unread 05-02-2007   #7 (permalink)
marsleyau

Is it a male cat normally they tend to nip just feed him or even give puss the attention it really needs. Its not odd he is just smart cat that knows what it wants.

Unread 05-02-2007   #8 (permalink)
cloud_shade

Do you feed him when he nips you? If so, you are reinforcing his behavior, so he knows that by nipping you, he gets fed. Mine know lots of ways to wake me up, but they are also slowly learning that if they wake me, I won't actually get out of bed to feed them.

Unread 05-02-2007   #9 (permalink)
lili_dela_vallee

Sounds like he is training you well. The problem is, that if you feed him every time he nips your leg, he will continue to do it, and it maybe become annoying, not just to you but to others if he gets hungry enough to bother them for food.I'd suggest not reinforcing that behaviour. Either feed him a little sooner, but if he does nip at you for food, do something to take his mind away from food. For example, pick him up and take him away from the kitchen, or where he is fed. Maybe sit down and pet him for a bit, but keep him from nipping you. Once you have his mind off the nipping, even for just a short bit, go feed him, so that he isn't associating your feeding him with his action of nipping you.I wouldn't give him his favorite kind of attention at the times he nips you either, or he'll begin to acquaint the nipping with getting a reward.Cats are so smart... much smarter about training us than dogs are, or at least more manipulative about it. lolBest of luck.

Unread 05-02-2007   #10 (permalink)
Pinoy Sophomore

He's hungry and wants your attention. Feed him. =)

Tags
behavior , behaviour , cat , cat behavior , cats , clean , dogs , food , hey , litterbox , male , pet , problem , smart , training , wake

Sponsored Cat Links