It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2007   #1 (permalink)
Dirty Martini

Default Cat Behavior Interpretation?

I've had this adult male russian blue for about 7 weeks. Tonight I was laying on the couch with my head propper up against the arm of the couch, and the cat jumped on the couch arm..and put both his paws around my head like it was a ball and started rubbing his face all over the back of my head! (Actually it felt pretty good, kind of like a massage)! I thought maybe he wanted to play, but he didnt respond to my playful overtures. What do you think this was about? BTW, he just got back 2 days ago after being boarded for a week while I was out of the country.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-06-2007   #2 (permalink)
Oyster S

As a cat psycologist (Almost...still in school), I can tell you two things. One: your cat missed you. Actually, he realized his scent on you was rather weak, and decided to refresh it.Two: Your cat was glad to be back in familiar surroundings. Perhaps he was rubbing other things before and/or after? He was re-aquainting himself with all of his things...which may also be yours. Also, in order to correct one of the other answers: Cats have scent glands under their chins, on the top of their heads (behind their ears), and at the base where tail meets body. They have some others, but they aren't used nearly as often.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-06-2007   #3 (permalink)
moops4783

Russian Blues are known for being very territorial of their people. All cats have scent glands in their cheekbones. When they rub against things with their faces, they are essentially marking their territory. You should be honored. He is claiming you as his. Congratulations!

Unread 05-08-2007   #4 (permalink)
Lila42

That's sweet. Yep, some people don't realize that when cats rub their faces beside yours, or rub their cheeks against you they are marking you.

Unread 05-08-2007   #5 (permalink)
Lila42

Oyster S, you are a studying cat psychologist? Help me, please. My cat, Cleo, does many, many undesirable things. I hope you read this. Here is a brief history:
She is six and in perfect health. Was a feral cat. Up to date on all shots, went to vet last month. She was given to me by my sister because she peed on everything and kept her kids up at night. My sister kept her in a cage at night.
Cut to me and Cleo...brought her to my apartment, (I was living on my own at the time) kept her litterbox clean and tidy..I couldnt' keep a rug in the bathroom. She peed on it every time. She kept me up all night, every night; I had to lock her up in the bathroom, minus the bath rug. I know cats are nocturnal, but I have had cats all my life and no other cat has EVER kept me up to this extent.
Now, remarried, in a house. Got another cat for Cleo to play with. Cleo has destroyed sofas, screens, carpets, wallpaper, you name it. I have to keep a water bottle by my bed at night. On some nights, I squirt her up to ten times for jumping in the window sill waking me up. It never works. She wakes my boys up. She will sit on your face, meow so loud it startles you . She never wants anything, just wants you awake. She pees on anything that is left in the floor. Now, she started peeing in my houseplant. Her litterbox is cleaned daily. There, th at's most of it. I hope you read this and can offer some insight.

Unread 05-08-2007   #6 (permalink)
Lila42

Oh, and if you close your bedroom door at night to keep her out, she digs under your door, bangs against it and meows so loud it would wake the neighbors. That's where the ruined carpets come into play.

Tags
adult , another cat , apartment , behavior , cat , cat behavior , cats , clean , feral , health , hey , house , jumping , litterbox , male , meow , night , peeing , play , territorial , vet , wake , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links