It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
makepeacenotchaos

Default My cat won't use the litter box - how to correct behavior?

Hey all! I am having a problem with my 8 year old cat refusing to use the litter box. Currently she sleeps in our bedroom and has to cross the living room to get to the litter box. The 2nd cat lives in this room, and I am afraid she is keeping the oldest from using the litter box OR that the oldest is afraid to cross the living room (there is a dog who hangs out in here) This is a new problem that has come up in the past month and is only getting worse. It happens most often first thing in the morning and has progressed from just #2 to #1 & 2 which is causing an odor problem. Specifically:1. How can I correct this behavior?2. How can I remove the smell? Thanks all!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-16-2007   #2 (permalink)
Todor Fan

ok i have had this problem my cat kept peeing every where in the house except the catbox the problem might be that you might need to buy another litter box or clean out the one you have or my best advice is she probably does not like the litter i swear we got a new litter that block odor and all the cats didn't mind and she was peeing on beds and everything we were about to sell her when i had the idea to change to different brand and it worked!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-16-2007   #3 (permalink)
Richard C

get rid of the cat!

Unread 05-16-2007   #4 (permalink)
sparkydog_1372

i would say it's one of two things going on, either the cat and dog you mention are preventing her from using the litter box which could be solved by adding another one. however i would wonder why this problem is only recent and they didn't prevent her before. second, i would say she's sick and needs to see a vet. animals will often potty in inappropriate places to let you know they're sick. take her in, she may have something wrong.

Unread 05-16-2007   #5 (permalink)
Shannon *

OK heres the problem...usually when an older cat starts going around your house it is VERY hard to get them to use the box again. But you said there was a dog, is the dog new? I brought home a dog one time and my cat was so mad at me she peed on my floor till we got rid of the dog, To get the oder out is simple. They make all sorts of animal oder removers, you can get them at pet stores. Wash the spot good with what ever cleaning agent you use then spray the spot really well. It will remove the oder so even the cat wont know she peed there before. You can try putting the litter box in your room or closer to it though I cant imagine you would want to do that but its worth a try, Sometimes medical issues arriase in cats that makes them go where ever they please as well. You might want to call the vet. Good luck!

Unread 05-16-2007   #6 (permalink)
Lucas S

Try getting the 8yr old her own box. Cats are territorial creatures.

Unread 05-16-2007   #7 (permalink)
SuzyQII

I agree with all of the above (territorial, clean the box, change the kitty litter, etc.) and have one thing to add. If your cat is just urinating all over, have her checked for diabetes. Sparky is right, when a cat is ill, they urinate out of the box - only way to let you know. As for the smell, cheap and good: spritz really well with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water mixture, sprinkle with baking soda, let it dry (you will be amazed at how much soaks up into the baking soda), vacuum, and spritz with peroxide.

Unread 05-17-2007   #8 (permalink)
sherri

Thumbs up

yes call your vet, and discuss problem, someone else said diabetes, just a simple blood test might be required, better safe than sorry...blood work usually costs between 30-50 dollars, depending on area, and amount of tests run...also changing the type of litter, and getting her, her very own box...

Tags
advice , age , animal , baking soda , beds , behavior , box , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , color , diabetes , dog , dry , hey , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , medical , morning , peeing , pet , problem , sick , smell , territorial , test , type , vet , wash , water

Sponsored Cat Links