It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-17-2007   #1 (permalink)
Katie85

Default What toys do your cats play with?

I am looking for new ideas for cat toys, over the years I have spent a small fortune on various toys and wired gadgets (laser pens and catnip flavoured bubbles) and my 2 cats come back to wanting to play with the same 3 things, ping pong balls, plastic drinking straws and my feet under the quilt.

One loves running water and has a few days of being obsessed with the tap.

What do your cats love to play with?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-17-2007   #2 (permalink)
Clover16

My 2 cats are 14 so they don't play like they used to but I too have spent a small fortune on toys through the years. What Gracie likes is a small feather toy strung to a wand. The lighter to better. Elwood also likes the wand toy but is so energetic even as "an old man" that he trashes it pretty quickly. He also likes to occasionally bat light weight mice and balls around on the floor. He and I will sometimes bat one back and forth to each other. Lots of fun.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-17-2007   #3 (permalink)
sherri

Smile

with 4 cats, ages from 1-11 years...they play with a variety of things..the favorite toy is the ring off the milk container..small furry mice, and a balled up paper, also feet, or hands under the blankets..sometimes a ball..

Unread 05-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
Angelkiss

My cats love to play with little toy mice. I throw them and they fetch like a dog would . Angel loves scrunched up paper. Bobby loves ping pong balls, and Kiki goes mad for catnip bubbles. They all love the fishing rod toys. I love to watch them play, it helps to keep them young and fit. As indoor cats they need to play to exercise to help prevent obesity.
Angelkiss x

Unread 05-18-2007   #5 (permalink)
Katie85

My 2 cats are indoor cats as well and Missy is starting to put on a bit weight as she is on steriod tablets so was looking for something new to get her moving a bit.

I've got the small mice but she gets bored and starts clening herslef, I don't think she has much of an attention span.

Unread 05-18-2007   #6 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Default Hi Katie

Have you tried a remote control mouse? My son loves playing with ours, the cats go loopy for it.
Angelkiss x

Last edited by Angelkiss; 05-18-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: it didn't make sense

Unread 05-18-2007   #7 (permalink)
Clover16

Have you tried her on a real light weight fishing rod toy? Something with feathers? You may be able to keep her attention longer by bouncing and flying it around in front of her. My Gracie is also overweight. Between that and her age she really doesn't like to move around a lot. Since not surprisingly she's a bit arthritic, poor dear, she mostly plays with the feather toy lying down but still she gets to stretch, move and roll over--all better than just lying around or sleeping. She's never liked batting mice or things around the way Elwood does even when she was younger. And neither of them has ever related to things that move around on the floor, like wind up toys. They seem to get bored almost immediately. Funny these little critter, how different they are. How old are your cats?

Unread 05-19-2007   #8 (permalink)
Katie85

Tilly is nearly 3 and still thinks she's a kitten and is a bundle of energy.

Missy is nearly 9, I've only had her a year and when I got her she wasn't in the best shape as her previous owners didn't feed her correctly and couldn't turn round in the pet carrier I brought her home in and she is also the size of a jack russell terrier so is quite big naturally, she's lost weight but she could probably do with a bit more exercise.

Both are house cats and they get a lot of attention when I come back from work but I think Missy needs to move about a bit more as I have noticed she is a bit lazy and generally just goes between 2 beds, her food bowl and her litter tray, Tilly runs round like a lunatic and also follows my every move.

They have a big activity thing with loads of scratching posts, bed and toys on so she does have a good stretch and a bit of a climb.

Unread 05-19-2007   #9 (permalink)
Clover16

What a wonderful "career move" for Missy! Sounds like she didn't get much attention from her previous owners so no wonder she's still not used to moving around a lot. At her age she probably got kind of set in her ways before she came to live with you. So it may take a while but hopefully you'll be able to bring her around to more movement. Good luck!

Unread 05-19-2007   #10 (permalink)
SuzyQII

Same story - purchase cat toys and their favorite toy is the ring you pull off the gallon milk jug. They also like the twisty from the bread and cotton swabs. So sad!

Tags
age , baby , bat , beds , cat , cat toys , catching , catnip , cats , color , crazy , dog , favorites , food , fun , funny , great , hey , home , house , indoor , jack , kitten , kittens , laser , lazy , litter , lost , love , manx , mouse , moving , obesity , overweight , paw , pet , play , playing , problems , raw , scratching , sleeping , small , smart , stealing , story , toys , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links