It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2007   #1 (permalink)
janinenicole127

Default Help my cat keeps bringing us Dead animals. What can I do to stop this

behavior for an outside cat.? She is kept in our basement with a doggie door. We have to have the doggie door open for our senile dog who also lives down there. we have tried putting perfume on her and bells which don't work. please help

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
The Queen Has Spoken

Your cat is bringing you gifts... There is not probably anything you can do other than to tell her thank you and toss the dead varmint in the trash.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
marybeth

it is heard for them to stop. my cat does it all the time. it is in there nature for them to kill them. they thinnk they are leaving you a present.

Unread 05-20-2007   #4 (permalink)
lix

You can't. She's providing food for the pride, that includes you. Just bin the dead animals and be thankful she's not bringing them in live. My daughter's cat used to bring in half-dead rabbits and my friend's, living earth worms.

Unread 05-20-2007   #5 (permalink)
ozzysmom

There is nothing you can do. She is an outside cat and she is doing what she does naturally. She is going back to her 'hunter' roots. She is bringing the bounty to you. Unless she should become an inside cat which is highly unlikely, there is no way to stop this behaviour. It is inbred and by leaving her constant access to the outside and the privilege of returning at will, you are almost reinforcing it.

Unread 05-20-2007   #6 (permalink)
K H

She wants you to be proud of her! She brings you these animals to show you "Hey, look what I got!" Hoping for some kind of reward......You can't stop her from hunting but if you really wanted to, you could make an outside enclosure of somekind to let her go outside without hunting?

Unread 05-20-2007   #7 (permalink)
mamajodieg

GOOD LUCK! I had a cat that would bring a dead mole or field mouse to my front door every day. The cat is instinctively hunting. I was told that this is in a sweet way of asking for praise of what she has done...????Simply a theory...

Unread 05-20-2007   #8 (permalink)
Leah P

u keep ur pets locked up in a basement?and u cant do anything to stop her from bringing u those "gifts", she is protecting u and rewarding u with the "trophy", its a cats insticts to do such things. u can not stop nature from taking its course

Unread 05-20-2007   #9 (permalink)
pipzig

As the others have said - its natural, but you can help reduce her chances of making a kill by putting a colar with a bell on her - it warns whatever she is trying to stalk that she's there.

Unread 05-20-2007   #10 (permalink)
Christian W

You cant stop. Its their instinct to hunt and the fact that she brings it in to you means that she loves you and thinks she should share with you. Just throw away what ever she brings and she will think you ate it which will make her happy...You should take it as a compliment!!!

Tags
age , allergies , animal , behavior , behaviour , car , carpet , cat , cat's , cats , clean , computer , dogs , dry , food , gifts , happy , hey , house , mouse , natural , pet , pounce , present , sleeping , smell , stop , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links