It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2007   #1 (permalink)
spyvixen17

Default Is this normal cat behavior after having kittens?

My cat was really friendly right before she went into labor which was kind of strange b/c she isn't an affectionate cat. She has now had her kittens,its been about a day, and she constantly follows me around meowing and wanting me to pet her. Also when I look at the kits she just rubs up against me. Is it normal for cats to do this after they give birth, also this is her first litter.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
Ayla B

She is proud of her babies!She should be spending a big part of her day with them when they are so young. Maybe you should lock her in with them for awhile.With her first litter, make sure she is cleaning their eyes and butts good (they usually do) and nursing ok.Congrats!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
CreepyPeopleTM

Yeahh my dog would always do that when she had her first litter sheshould just leave her puppies and try to make me pet her and stuff.I guess they just want attention after what they gone through. She'll become normal in no time.

Unread 05-20-2007   #4 (permalink)
krollstar1122

This is totally normal! They are sharing with you the joy of babies. Just like Human Mothers do just after having birth. She is also trying to get your attention of love cause now she's free to move around more without the added weight, and constant aches and pains. I believe that once a female cat has kittens, it makes her lovable, and friendlier. It changes them.

Unread 05-20-2007   #5 (permalink)
Angelkiss

I have one Breeding queen who will not leave her kittens. She only leaves them to use her litter tray and to eat and drink. She really likes the family to pet her while she is nursing she is such a happy mum!
I have another that behaves much like your cat. She want lots of fuss and reassurance. She has been known to carry the kittens to me and leave them by my feet as if to say now its your turn lol. As soon as the kittens start crying she would rush to my lap and nurse them on it.
Like people cats are individuals and behave differently in different situations. If you are worried that there might be something wrong with your cat you really should take her to the vet. Keep an eye on the kittens, if they are constantly crying and the mother doesn't respond to them they may need you to feed them kitten milk with a special bottle or syringe. Get in touch with your vet or a local cat breeder if this is the case.
Angelkiss x

Tags
affectionate , art , babies , behavior , birth , breeder , breeding , cat , cat behavior , cats , cleaning , color , crying , dog , eye , eyes , family , female , free , friendly , happy , hey , joy , kittens , litter , love , meowing , pet , queen , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links