It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2007   #1 (permalink)
fascino

Default Cats in season urinating

Hi There I am a novice breeder, I have 2 registered GCCF active cats. I have a burmese 9 months old and a Bengal 7 months old. They have both been in season this week First full season for the bengal, but my burmese this is her 3rd round of her 3-4 week cycle. The Bengal has started urinating on the bed when Im asleep, by the doors etc. I have spoken to her breeder who tells me its common and can be triggered by a roaming tom etc...I have a couple of questions. We have a friend who stays every so often who has a male cat, he stayed this weekend (the same day she started urinating) and I just wondered if the scent from his cat on his belongings could have triggered it? Also does Feliway work? I have heard mixed reviews on it. Also can anyone recommend a cleaner that works to remove the urine odour. And lastly my burmese sleeps at the bottom of the bed and her access is being restricted because of the bengals behaviour, can I contain the bengal in the kitchen of a night time so at least she is only urinating in one room, and still have the burmese upstairs or will this cause some social/jealousy issues between the 2 cats? Any helpful comments will be gratefully received!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-25-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Sorry to read that you are experiensing a few problems with your queens.
As far as the calling is concerned you should find a stud for your burmese. Even though she is still young, allowing her to call three times or more without mating can cause her seriouse problems. Thier wombs can become infected, (pyometra) always check your queen for any unusual discharge. It doesn't always happen but can be very nasty (sometimes fatal) if it does.
The urinating problem is very common. Many people don't realise that entire females often scent mark to attract a mate. Usually they only do it when in season. If it is happening other times there could be other problems. As you mentioned the scent of a unknown cat could cause her to want to mark her territory. Also if she has a water infection she may urinate in places you are likely to notice. If in any doubt take her to your vets.
I have heard really good things about feliway. It can only work if the problem is stress related though. You need to determine the cause before you can treat the problem.
I use a strong biological solution (laundry detergent) to get rid of the smell of urine. Chlorine based products only attract the cats back again.
For your last point I feel seperating the cats may cause your Bengal more stress which may make the problem worse. If your Bengals problems are stress related keeping her with her companion in a safe secure enviroment will help put her at ease.
I hope this is of some help to you... I do go on a bit lol!
Angelkiss x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-25-2007   #3 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Sorry if I have given bad advice . A Nurse at my vets many years ago recommended Biological detergent for when my old moggy had a few accidents when we moved house. I will be honest it did work for me. I have got into the habit of sharing this advice as I had never heard of any ill effect.
I would say to anyone doing any intensive cleaning to do it when your cats are not in the room as I would think all cleaning products are potentially hazardous if injested.
There are many cleaners available in pet stores made specifically to remove pet odour etc.
My apologies I would not want any harm to come to anybodies pets.
Angelkiss x

Unread 06-26-2007   #4 (permalink)
fascino

No Problem, I actually took her to the vets this morning just to get her checked over (I had booked the appointment yesterday and glad I did becuase she had a closed eye aswell when I got home last night) she does have a UTI and also conjunctivitus, poor little thing, however she has her meds now and is on the road to recovery. Thanks for all your info!

Tags
advice , behaviour , bengal , breeder , burmese , cat , cats , cleaning , color , dry , eye , hey , home , house , infection , male , mating , morning , night , pet , problem , problems , smell , social , stress , urine , uti , water

Sponsored Cat Links