It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2007   #1 (permalink)
Flustered188

Unhappy Cats are ruining our home!

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any and all help. First time here and first post so let me give a little background.

Significant other and I moved in to a townhouse a couple years ago and she has two cats. Both are male and we're guessing that one is around 10 and the other 6.

Not too long after moving in we began discovering that one or both of them had been urinating in places other than the litter box.

They got a couple baskets of clothing, a pile of coats that had been on the basement floor, on the top of a box containing photo albums etc. Also at one point we found a very large puddle right on the bare floor. The final item they destroyed was an old couch. Found that they had been going on that for quite some time as it was soaked and the moment it was moved the odor was horrible.

Jumping ahead two years...

We purchased a home and have had a few problems. First one was a day where the litterbox access was accidentally blocked right after we moved in. Came home that night and found #2 on the basement carpet. Made sure access was clear from that point on and then found #2 again a few days later in the same spot. At that point we covered the spot and bought a second litterbox for the basement. We've never had another problem with #2 and that was the only two episodes.

Short while later we found that one of their cat beds (in the basement) had been urinated in. It couldn't have been more than a week or two and the other cat bed was found soaked...also in the basement. We had I believe only one other incident where they went on a piece of exercise equipment, again, in the basement.

This all is between the first of April and now...so less than four months time. Two nights ago we found that both vinyl recliners in the basement literally had standing puddles in them where they had obviously been using the chairs as a litterbox for sometime. Luckily it wasn't onto the carpet but needless to say the chairs are now in the garbage.

Now last night I went downstairs and found a small waste paper can tipped over. Turned the can back over and grabbed the papers to place back in the can and found them wet. One of them had tipped the can over and then urinated on the papers....some of which finally got the carpet.

That was the last straw for me and both of them are currently in the garage. She loves these cats very much as does her daughter and mine is also very much attached to them. As much as I love animals, especially cats, these two have me on the verge of loosing it... I banished them to the garage last night and swore they would never come back in the house again. I hate doing so but don't know what to do here.

What makes them go on every object they can get on top of in the basement? The litter box is less than 15' away and it is always kept clean. For two and a half years now this has been going on and its always the basement.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for rambling on if I did so. BTW, these are strictly indoor cats if that makes any difference.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-27-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

First off I would like to welcome you to the forum .
I am sorry to read your cats behaviour is making you feel so down.
I think my first plan of action would be to take both cats to your vets. When cats have UTI (urinarary tract infection) they tend to urinate in odd places like on beds etc. Hopefully your vet will be able to rule that out.
Are the cats neutered? As tom cats (and un-neutered females) mark their territory with their urine. Getting your cats altered could stop this problem.
Another reason cats urinate in random places is due to stress. A house move is very stressfull for us & our pets. It is very common for a cat to behave this way under stress. Plus their noses are very sensitive to other smells. The scent of a cat that might have lived there before could be worrying your cats.
Unfortunatelly when cats have urinated in a place once they tend to go back again and again. Even worse when you have two cats doing it trying to outscent each other. The only way to combat this is by buying some really good cleaning products from your vets or local pet store specifically to remove the scent of urine.
It sounds as though you do not use the basement much and many mishaps have gone undetected. I realise this will be hard but you really have to check everywhere they go for accidents. And thoroughly cleanse. The only way you will resolve this is by really keeping on top of it.
I really hope this is of some help. I also hope your cats will soon be able to rejoin the family as I am sure they would be happier cats then too.
All the best,
Angelkiss x

Last edited by Angelkiss; 07-27-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling error

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-27-2007   #3 (permalink)
Flustered188

First off thanks for the quick advice! I'm also told that both cats have an appointment for Monday morning with the vet. I guess we'll know more afterwards. As for the cats being neutered, she isn't sure if they are or not. Something else I guess Monday will tell us.

As for the scent of a previous cat...I guess that is possible though we did have the carpets professionally cleaned before moving in. Of course they have yet to go on the floor, its always on something else.

The basement does get a fair amount of use and ever since the first incident in the new home we've watched it pretty closely....even checking with a black light. It was only the two cat beds they wet in....up until just last night when we discovered both recliners. Cat beds instantly went into the trash and last night both recliners went outside too. As for the little spot on the floor we bought a bottle of the odor remover specifically for cats and used it.

The litterbox placement really didn't seem to matter. We had one up stairs and one down. The upstairs got VERY little use, they always go to the basement. With that we moved them both to the basement before eventually just going back to one box. Our house is quite small and there is no room in the bathroom...laundry is in the basement too. We are also using a premium litter.

At any rate, this isn't an everyday problem. We've been here four months now and they use the litterbox. We're talking about two cat beds / two incidents, once in the clothes basket, that followed by finding the chairs which couldn't have been going on for more than a couple days....and the garbage can being the last incident. There are no problems upstairs at all.

Its just gotten to the point where I'm at a complete loss. We're gonna hope Monday brings some help.

Thanks for your help though!
Greatly appreciated!

Unread 07-28-2007   #4 (permalink)
Angelkiss

I really hope all goes well at the vets on Monday. It is always easier to solve this kind of problem if you can determine the cause.
All the best, Good luck!
Angelkiss x

Unread 08-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
Flustered188

Well after an overnight stay at the Vet and dropping $240.00 we're told there is nothing wrong with either one of them. They have both been (long ago) neutered and no UTI. The only "guess" was anxiety...

So, that is where we're at, pretty much the same place as a week ago, puzzled, confused and flustered.

Unread 08-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Thats a big vets bill! Its great news that they are well.
Have there been anymore accidents? I hope the cats are more settled and the problem stops.
Angelkiss x

Tags
advice , anxiety , beds , behaviour , black , box , carpet , cats , clean , cleaning , color , dry , family , found , great , hey , home , house , indoor , infection , litter , litter box , litterbox , loss , male , mat , morning , moving , new home , night , problem , problems , raw , small , stop , stress , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links