It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2007   #1 (permalink)
TazzandBogglesHuman

Exclamation Help! newly neutered aggression to other cats?

I am new and will introduce myself in the other forum soon.... but HELP!
We've been "adopted" by yet another cat... He is about 7 or 8 months of age and small. He was confined to a cage until he was tested for FeLv/FIV, neutered and vaccinated. I decided to blend him in with our indoor cat family. He was very calm and non confrontational the first evening... (post surgery drugs still in his system?) and the whole time he was in the cage he was very laid back and loving. fast forward to second evening inside, rather peaceful did not fear our bully cat Tex, and met the other cats cautiously nose to nose with some howling by both parties.... I caught him spraying and swatted his behind (lightly)... minutes later he visciously attacked Tazz, one of the females... (all are spayed), I separated them and he launched himself at Marika... tried to get ahold of him this whole time with out getting bitten myself... finally did and he went to solitary confinement in the garage shop.....

The big question.... will he settle down? He did not challenge the boys at all. Obviously if he still sprays he stays out.... have two that do that ALREADY.... Do I dare try it again? I am a vet tech and thought I was familiar with most cat problems.... I don't know what to do with him.... he can't rejoin the barn cats because I'm afraid he will chase one of them away...or hurt one of them...

Sorry for the long post.....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-04-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

As you are probably aware being a vet tech, when a male cat is neutered it takes a week or two for his hormones to settle. I was talking to a friend of mine very recently. She breeds cats like myself. She had one of her males neutered, once he had recovered she put him in a room with some easy going cats... He successfully mated one. You wouldn't think he would be up to it after the op. My friend complained to the vet thinking the op hadn't been completed entirely which of course it had. The vet explained that his hormones are still telling him he is entire, although he cannot produce new sperm there could be some still in his tubes etc. (He fathered two kittens so this must have been the case).
Once his hormones settled he stopped crying for the girls and is now a completely different cat. I hope things go this way for you. The stress of the introduction could also contribute to his agression. Cats can be unpredictable when frightened.
I really hope things settle for you,
Angelkiss x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-05-2007   #3 (permalink)
TazzandBogglesHuman

Thanks for your response Angelkiss! He is in with the "Bachelors" in their bachelor pad, but in a separate part where he can look thru the partition. So hopefully he will mellow enough to live with them... don't think I will risk him inside again though...Tazz's eye is just now healing, and she is finally trusting enough to come out and snuggle with me.... can't tell SHE's spoiled can you? I try so hard not to play favorites.... but......

Unread 08-05-2007   #4 (permalink)
Angelkiss

It is hard not to have favourites lol. I love all mine differently, as they are all different. All very lovable though some show their love more than others.
I can't imagine life without my cats or a day when my husband hasn't complained about one of them lol. He loves them really! They can be naughty but I find it endearing lol.
Angelkiss x

Unread 08-09-2007   #5 (permalink)
TazzandBogglesHuman

Radar is fitting in with the Bachelors pretty well.... he does like to be in the front of the line.... whereever I am dumping the food next... Doesn't seem to want much loving on yet.... Thats ok, he'll come around....

Tags
adopted , age , aggression , agression , another cat , breeds , bully , calm , cat , cat problems , cats , color , confined , crying , eye , family , fast , favorites , fiv , food , hey , hurt , indoor , introduction , kittens , love , loving , male , nose , play , problems , question , small , spayed , stress , surgery , tribute , vet

Sponsored Cat Links