It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2007   #1 (permalink)
marble

Default 2 cats + 2 kittens

Hello. I have 2 cats 1 and 2 years old. Last week decided to adopt a little kitten. However I couldnt choose so I took 2 of them home!

I have kept them in the bedroom since the weekend - trying to mix scents with my 2 cats and today my tom cat was outside their bedroom door - he stepped in saw the kitties and laid really low and started growling - a really long low growl. The kitties (used to other cats) just backed themselves up again the wall and that was that.

I have read all the advice about introducing a kitten to a adult cat household and am doing everything by the book, however I am very worried that my tom cat will not accept the kittens. My tom was the baby in the family and quite often stays close to me - basically he runs the roost!

I am worried that he will not accept them and leave home (this happened a few years ago with a friends cat).

I am wondering if anyone has been in this situation and any advice they can offer, also I am worried that having adopted 2 kittens instead of 1 may not of been a good idea (?)

My other cat (female) knows they are here but has ignored them and I dont think there will be any problems there.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-22-2007   #2 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Your cat would have reacted the same even if it were just one kitten so do not feel guilty. If anything the kittens will be happier to have each other to comfort one another.
Your tom cat is feeling insecure and confused at the moment. He is unsure whether the new kittens are a threat to him or not. Unfortunatly I cannot predict how things will turn out, only time will tell. If your cat is determined not to like the new kittens hopefully he will be able to tolerate them given time.
I hope all works out well, all the best,
Angelkiss x

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-31-2007   #3 (permalink)
marble

Thanks for your advice.

It's been another week and the kittens are roaming the house now but my 2 cats will only come in to eat (as fast as they can!) and rush back outside again!

My cats continue to growl and hiss at them then get scared and hop back out through the window.

It is very upsetting to see my cats so unhappy (and living outside!) I am scared they wont accept the kitties and will run away

My husband thinks we should give them a few more weeks but I dont want my cats unhappy and scared to come home.

Any advice? or similar situations would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Unread 09-06-2007   #4 (permalink)
lisakmusco

A trick I read once has worked wonders for me a few times now. And that is to bathe the cats all at the same time and then dry them all with the same towels. Thus their scents get all mixed together and they end up smelling themselves on each other and most squabbles/growls come to an end.

Unread 09-09-2007   #5 (permalink)
marble

Thanks for your advice but if I tried to bathe my cats I would need a coat of armour!
I have tried the swapping scents theory but in the end decided it was too stressful (for me and the cats!)

The kitties now live with a family without other pets.

Unread 09-10-2007   #6 (permalink)
lisakmusco

That's too bad you had to give away the kittens.
Yeah, bathing cats can be tough, but I've been bathing all of mine since they were kittens, so it's not too bad.

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , baby , book , cat , cats , color , dry , family , fast , female , friends , growl , growling , growls , happy , hey , hiss , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitties , problems , scared , upset , window

Sponsored Cat Links