It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2008   #1 (permalink)
Clackamas

Default Introducing a New cat into the home

A little background about me and cats:

I adopted two kittens in 1989, Miranda in May and Mapfumo in August. I had Mapfumo until she passed away on November 5th, 2004 and Miranda until she passed away on November 3rth, 2007. Both were indoors.

I adopted a new kitten on November 5th who as about 3 months. He is a great, active little guy. He is indoor only. However, I decided I could play with him to the extent he needed (he would play attack, etc... I didn't mind it so much except when I had to tend other things)....

So, 2 weeks ago, I adopted a 3 year old cat who is very socialable at the pound and was listed as getting along with cats. He was formally outdoor, ferral and neutered by the clip of his ear. In part, I went for the older cat with the idea to balance out the kitten.

Over night, while I am at work and for other periods of more than 1-2 hours, I keep them in separate rooms for now.

Both cats get along... neither hisses for the most part. The older guy, though, just kind of sits there ignoring the play of the younger one. Tonight, though, the younger one annoyed the older one and got a swat in the eye. He's okay, but I think he got 'put in his place'.

Anyway, the older one, has one particular problem and I want to make sure I am handling it correctly. Basically, he hides all the time. And he runs off when I approach him. However, if i catch him and hold him, he accepts the attention from me and even starts to purrs. But, he won't be socialable on his own and he hides when I around.

How long do you all think this will continue? And should I continue now and again to pick him up and to help him acclimate to me?

Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-22-2008   #2 (permalink)
RobertB

You might want to look into Feliway and Comfort Zone diffusers since they exert a calming influence on cats. Keep in mind also that cat socialization can take a while. It doesn't sound like you're having any problems per se, so keep doing what you are doing and he will eventually get used to you. You might want to be careful about forcing it on him though -- if he tries to get away let him go.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
adopted , annoyed , attack , cat , cats , clip , eye , great , hey , home , kittens , new cat , new kitten , night , outdoor , play , problem , problems

Sponsored Cat Links