It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2008   #1 (permalink)
chickenman33

Default Should I let him out?

I have a 6 year old neutered cat. He is the first animal to the door in the morning wanting out. He beats the dogs to the door. His interest in the outdoors has been steadily increasing over the last year. Is it too late in his life for him to adapt to a different environment? Would it really make him happy or is it just curiosity and more my desire to please him?

I am concerned that I would never see him again. We live in a residential neighborhood. All leashed dogs and some cats. Knowing my neighbors I would guess that any male cat would also be neutered. I know he would need all of his shots, but is there any other advice.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
jphoto

I know it's easy to want to make your cat happy by letting him outside. But unfortunately there are so many dangers that it's always better to keep a cat indoors.
Outdoor cats are more prone to infectious diseases because of encounters with wildlife and other outside pets. Your cat could get into a territorial fight with another cat and get injured and could develop an infection that could send them to the veterinary clinic. Also outside cats are more likely to consume something poisonous. Wild animals are also potential predators. Plus with cars the outside world isn't a friendly place for cats. That's why the average life expectancy for an outdoor cat is 3 years compared to twelve or more for an indoor cat.
You can get a harness and leash for your cat. I have one that I leash and take outside for 15 mins an every few days. It seems to get that need to be outdoors out of his system and keeps my fear of something happening to him at bay.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , animal , another cat , cat , cats , dogs , environment , fight , friendly , happy , infection , male , morning , outdoor , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links