It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2008   #1 (permalink)
garnet13ajg

Default Help Me Understand My New Cat!

I just got my first cat about a month ago. I got her from a shelter, she's about 2 years old, and I don't know much about her history but judging by her behavior I'm guessing she was a street cat.

She seems to really like me. She follows me around the house, sleeps in my bed, and licks me when I stick my hand out...The problem is, she is always batting at people (including me) and trying to bite us. She doesn't use her claws and when she bites it's usually not hard, but I can't really tell the difference between playing and aggression with her, and I'd rather she didn't bite at all. She's definitely not a lap cat, and I'm okay with that, but she won't even let you pet her for more than a few seconds most of the time without rolling over on her back and trying to bite/bat at me with her paws.

What can I do to discourage that sort of behavior and encourage her to relax and let us pet her?...I bought a squirt bottle but I'm not sure how/when to use it so I haven't really tried it out yet.

Thanks for any advice!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

How old is he? Is he neutered?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
garnet13ajg

She is 2 and spayed....I should also add that she chases me around a lot and tries to bat at my feet. Is it possible that she's just really bored?

Unread 07-13-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Well, he's young & with a stong character I guess.
Maybe he's bored & maybe he will be like this forever.
My older cat Domino was terrible when he was a kitten. he used to bite all the time. Now he's 11 more quiet but he still bites from time to time.
I couldn't do anything to solve the problem but it doesnt matter, I love him very much, my fatso.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , aggression , bat , behavior , bite , bites , cat , claws , house , kitten , love , mat , new cat , pet , playing , problem , shelter , spayed

Sponsored Cat Links