It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-21-2008   #1 (permalink)
Blake5377

Default Biting Cat

Hey everybody, im new to this board... so let me start off talking about the problem I have with my cat.

This is my first Cat I've owned, so im pretty new at this.
My cat is Named Pia, shes a tux black/white cat. 2 years old. Small and skinny.

Sometimes shes very very loving, sweet and fun. But then too fun...
Sometimes she just snaps and "bitches" at you out of nowhere...
For example... If im walking by my couch to go to the other room, she jumps out and bites and scratches the back of my leg. Its so annoying. And she never listens. I've been spraying her with water for the last month, but im not sure if shes learning or making any sort of improvements.
Not sure what to do. I think she bites because its gives my full attention to her, but it just makes me very mad at her, but i dont think she cares.
Some friends say its her playing, and her still having the 2 year old kitten still inside of her. Also, that she will have this personality for another year or two...

So let me know the best advice to train her to stop being so aggressive and violent towards me and to friends.

Thanks everybody!
-Blake!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-22-2008   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

I have a cat and her way of showing affection is to bite. When she gets too excited, she bites. Its just a love bite, don't worry about it. LOL.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-22-2008   #3 (permalink)
Blake5377

Really? Its love bites when they bite and scratch really hard... there has to be a way to tell her to stop... what to do?

Unread 07-22-2008   #4 (permalink)
Andie Becker

Default try this

yes... believe it or not, this is the way they show either love, overstimulation, or redirected fear or aggression. (in the case that they are afraid and you then pick them up at the wrong time). It sounds like your cat is overstimulated. My 9 month old, will run around the house like crazy, purring and meowing, when i get home after a long day away. I begin to play with her and she then jumps up, bites my calf, and runs away. I will go find her, and she is hiding around the corner and bites again!! OR, i will pet her, and she gets overly excited and just begins grabbing my hand with both her paws, in a death grip, and bites away!!

Unfortunately, it seems your cat, (at no fault of yours) and mine (at my fault ) were not taught proper socialization. My cat loving friends have told me that i did not redirect her that well when she nipped as a kitten and now she is bound to do this for life. It should calm a bit, but when?? Who knows.

However, i try several things. I pick her up and soothe her, rubbing her back length very slowly and quietly over an over, and she usually will calm, and know it is a quiet time. Or, i grab her scruff and push her to the ground, saying no, deeply and lowly. Or, i just put her down, and ignore her. OR. i flick her nose. of course, then i feel guilt. People will tell you to spray her, but i find that mine loves water and thinks it is play time... And i won't lie, sometimes none of this works, so she bites, and gets her way. In which case i just stop playing with her.

Good LUCK!!!!

Unread 07-22-2008   #5 (permalink)
Blake5377

Oh man!

Sounds like my cat also!!!

I ll try those things... but anybody else have any more ways they teach their cat?

And yeah im starting to also realize that water = play time...

I ll try the nose thing and the push on the ground... sometimes i just throw her in the bathroom...

thanks again everyone!

Unread 07-29-2008   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake5377 View Post
Really? Its love bites when they bite and scratch really hard... there has to be a way to tell her to stop... what to do?
Yup. More often than not, it's love bites. But there are ways to stop your cat from doing that. It takes some time however. Try this: Whenever your cat bites you, say "NO!!!" hiss and clap. Stop playing with her or spray her with water. Eventually your cat will understand that you don't like the biting. Hope that works.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 08-02-2008   #7 (permalink)
ChiSun

that's a relief. I was wondering why my cat would always cuddle up next to my head in the middle of the night and start biting on my ear. Drives me crazy, but i guess she's telling me she loves me. haha. Wonderful advice!

Unread 08-05-2008   #8 (permalink)
dmcwlvssr

My suggestion is not to discipline as to redirect. When she does this stop tell her no then imediately grab a toy and show her that is play. Keep a pocket full of toys handy. It will take a lot of work on you to be constant with this change to get her to change how she reacts with you. Best wishes! Give kitty scritches.

Unread 08-06-2008   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I will try this also. My little 6 week old Dino is driving me mad!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , aggression , aggressive , art , bite , bites , biting , black , calm , cat , crazy , friends , fun , hey , hiding , hiss , home , house , kitten , kitty , love , loving , meowing , new to this , night , nose , personality , pet , play , playing , problem , scratch , small , snaps , stop , toys , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links