It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2009   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

I used backwards tape. Bastet is an uber-priss and freaked out the second her paws go sticky

And yeah, water bottles are really handy! They KNOW they're not supposed to do it ... a squirt between the ears helps them remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-13-2009   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

TiffanyB is on a distinguished road

I have a lot of cat furniture setup around my house but one of my cats refused to use it and so instead of declawing him I bought him some Soft Paw Nail Caps for cats. They don't hurt the cat and they are easy to put on. Worth a try. You can also try rubbing catnip on the pieces of furniture you want him to play with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-04-2012   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Tired
Lumos-Nox is on a distinguished road

I've been told that Cellophane that is used to wrap food etc can deter the Cats because of the strange texture.
Sorry I can't help further x

Lumos-Nox x
Unread 09-05-2012   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

sbjforumman is on a distinguished road

In most cases this is a disciplinary issue first. You can't make cat's do anything you want but through discipline you can make them more comfortable doing what you want then what they want. Use smells to discourage bad surfaces and entourage good surfaces. Give them negative responses when you catch them scratching (ie, hissing at them, standing up while clapping your hands, and/or using a water bottle). Depending on if they only scratch one area of the couch specifically you could put little balls of tape on that spot so that it sticks to their paws. Cats hate tape on their paws. Eventually you hope they get trained out of it with the right attention from you.
Unread 09-05-2012   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjforumman View Post
In most cases this is a disciplinary issue first. You can't make cat's do anything you want but through discipline you can make them more comfortable doing what you want then what they want. Use smells to discourage bad surfaces and entourage good surfaces. Give them negative responses when you catch them scratching (ie, hissing at them, standing up while clapping your hands, and/or using a water bottle). Depending on if they only scratch one area of the couch specifically you could put little balls of tape on that spot so that it sticks to their paws. Cats hate tape on their paws. Eventually you hope they get trained out of it with the right attention from you.
This is not correct. Cats do not respond to discipline. Cats respond to redirecting and positive reinforcement.

Give the cat her or his own furniture to scratch on. When the cat scratches on the couch, pick the cat up gently and take her to her own furniture. When she scratches her own things, praise her.

Give kitty a variety of scratching surfaces. Curved, straight up and down, inclined, flat. Carpet, sisal, cardboard, wood. Cats do not understand "discipline", you will only teach the cat to fear you, and do the scratching when you aren't around.

Double sided sticky tape is a good idea to deter, but not "little balls of tape". These could be ingested, and cause bowel obstructions.

please read this first
Unread 09-05-2012   #16 (permalink)
Newborn

sbjforumman is on a distinguished road

I guess this is a language issue. When I say discipline I mean guidance through redirection of behavior or discomfort. And discomfort means anything that is less comfortable than another option. By moving the cat over and over, you are making them more comfortable staying at their new location than at the couch because they would wind up just being moved again. Discomfort can be anything from moving the cat to having an unpleasant smell. Then you make them MORE comfortable in the chosen location by providing smells they enjoy etc.

Discipline in my book IS simply guidance through positive and negative reinforcement. As I said you cant' MAKE Kitty do anything. As for the double sided tape, strips of double-sided tape leave huge splotches of residue makes for difficult clean up. Balls of regular tape (made large enough) cover a decent amount of surface and stick TO the cat which is usually more effective (and also is not a swallow hazard when larger). I'm just speaking from my experience though. You're welcome to do whatever you feel suits your situation best.

Last edited by sbjforumman; 09-05-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 09-06-2012   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjforumman View Post
I guess this is a language issue. When I say discipline I mean guidance through redirection of behavior or discomfort. And discomfort means anything that is less comfortable than another option. By moving the cat over and over, you are making them more comfortable staying at their new location than at the couch because they would wind up just being moved again. Discomfort can be anything from moving the cat to having an unpleasant smell. Then you make them MORE comfortable in the chosen location by providing smells they enjoy etc.

Discipline in my book IS simply guidance through positive and negative reinforcement. As I said you cant' MAKE Kitty do anything. As for the double sided tape, strips of double-sided tape leave huge splotches of residue makes for difficult clean up. Balls of regular tape (made large enough) cover a decent amount of surface and stick TO the cat which is usually more effective (and also is not a swallow hazard when larger). I'm just speaking from my experience though. You're welcome to do whatever you feel suits your situation best.
Tape sticking to the cat is an ingestion hazard and is cruel besides.

Most people think of the word discipline as meaning punishment.

Cats do not respond to punishment.

Whenever I see someone talking about "disciplining" a cat my first thought is that person doesn't know anything about cats.

Words are powerful things. Make more of an effort to use an appropriate word. If you mean training, use the word training.

When you use the word discipline regarding cats, you give the impression you favor bullying cats. And you teach people who don't know any better that it is okay to punish cats to train them, which can only affect a cat in a negative way. A cat will not learn anything through punishment. Cats respond to love and patient training, not discipline.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
adorable , bowel , carpet , cat , catnip , cats , clean , crazy , dog , food , fur , furniture , great , hey , hissing , house , hurt , kitty , morning , moving , nice , night , paw , play , problems , question , rescue , scratch , scratching , scratching furniture , shelter , suggestions , water

Sponsored Cat Links