It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2008   #1 (permalink)
petsandkids

Question What's worked best for you to keep cats from scratching furniture

Hi. I have three cats (also one dog and 2 kids). Jake and Elwood are 4 year old shelter rescue "Russian Blue" cats. They are not purebred, but have the coloring of Russian Blues. Boo is a one year old shelter rescue barnyard cat. And Brandy is our adorable 2 year old boxer mix shelter rescue.

The cats have a huge climbing and scratching cat tree and a couple of scratch mats in the living room. But they still scratch the sofas. We just ordered a new sectional sofa and I want to try to come up with a way to keep them from destroying it.

Declawing is absolutely out of the question - so please don't even suggest.

Has anyone tried any products that keep your cats from destroying your couch? Any ideas or suggestions that could help?

Thanks.

Wendy

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-18-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm Cheryl,owned by 7 fluffy kids,welcome to the forum.Someone told me once to rub lemon soap on the furniture.Or use lemon furniture polish.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-20-2008   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

I usually use fresh lemons and vinegar, anything acidic, to remove cat scratches.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-21-2008   #4 (permalink)
KatieK

You were just ahead of me in this topic! My cat, too, has a nice fat scratching post but still loves to get her paws on the (faux) leather couch. I've heard rubbing some kitchen spices on the furniture will deter them, but I'm not sure which ones. Any ideas, anyone?

Unread 08-22-2008   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Eucalyptus is supposed to deter them too.xxxxx
Unread 08-26-2008   #6 (permalink)
dmcwlvssr

Lots of scratchers all kinds sisal, carpet, and cardboard. I have four cats and each prefer a different feel. I have them all over the house. I put them in front of what they were scratching and each time they started where they were not allowed I moved them to a scratcher. It takes a bit of time on your part to train them where to scratch. Best of luck

Last edited by dmcwlvssr; 08-26-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Unread 08-27-2008   #7 (permalink)
Hiss

I rubbed the not allowed surfaces down with lemon and orange peel and the allowed surfaces down with catnip.

my problems vanished immediately.

Unread 08-27-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Wink

I'll try the lemon & orange peel, thank you!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 09-29-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

tatonfra is on a distinguished road

It so great. Thanks a lots.
Unread 09-29-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I always kept a squirt bottle (or a super soaker!) handy, and watched the cats when I could. One paw extended towards the corner of the couch..*squirt* After a short while, they learned that the couch was not to be messed with!
Putting several scratching posts at the corners of the sofa (I have a sectional) really helped, they can scratch the post instead. Oh, you can also buy catnip in a convenient spray bottle, my cats are crazy for it (smells to me like mint, smells really good)

Another thing that really keeps my cats from wanting to scratch a lot, is PLAYTIME. I play with my cats for 45 minutes when I awaken in the morning, a few minutes in the afternoon if I can, then for an hour or so at night just before bed. Wears them out nice and good.

Tags
adorable , bowel , carpet , cat , catnip , cats , clean , crazy , dog , food , fur , furniture , great , hey , hissing , house , hurt , kitty , morning , moving , nice , night , paw , play , problems , question , rescue , scratch , scratching , scratching furniture , shelter , suggestions , water

Sponsored Cat Links