It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2008   #1 (permalink)
fatbuttmut

Default Need ideas to help my cats get along

I've been having problems with my 4 year old female, Itsy, and the 8 year old male, Weewee, getting along. When she came in it took me about 2 or 3 weeks to introduce them because she was so scared of everything, but she bonded with me just fine.
Then she had a procedure with the vet and was away for a couple nights. That made me start introductions again because she smelled different. She was still kind of nervous but there were no fights.
All of the sudden she started hissing and growling at him again and this time I guess he got tired and a fight started. Nobody was hurt but fur was all over.
Well, I started introducing again, even got feliway to help. The last couple days she came out of her bedroom/sanctuary and slowly I let her out more and more. They smelled each other and seemed like they were doing good.
Of course, there are treats for everybody when they're close together and I make sure Weewee gets the same attention so he doesn't feel left out.
Last night I fell asleep while she was out but woke up a couple times and she seemed to be doing fine and Weewee too. She was even laying on my rocking chair and Weewee by me. Early this morning they woke me up with a big fight. Mostly she growls at him and he grabbed her by the back of the neck. That's when she ran under the bed and fur was all over the floor.
I'm not sure what set this one off since I was completely out. I'm wondering if they'll ever be able to get along. She gets along with the 2 kittens and Weewee too but they don't seem to like each other.
I wonder if it is that Weewee sees her as more of a threat because she's older? He's great with the kittens, even grooms them.
Please give me some ideas. I don't know what else to do. I've cats that didn't like each other very much in the past but they soon learned to tolerate or ignore each other. Never this!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-24-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

My tom cats Bolan and Toto like to groom the kittens Finn and Harley.My girls,Dylan and Marley avoid them though.They just tolerate them.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-27-2008   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Female cats are VERY territorial. You can keep them both, but start out slow. Just make sure to learn more about dealing with females.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-27-2008   #4 (permalink)
fatbuttmut

I think I've tried just about everything. Even using the Feliway, treats, exchanging scents, etc. She even had her own room for a very long time before meeting Weewee and it looked like they were doing ok but all of the sudden she got mad with him and I didn't see him do anything other than sitting there and looking at her.
Anyway, I decided to find her a new home because all she'll do is hide under the bed and I don't think it's fair to have a beautiful cat that is not really that happy unless the door is closed.
I checked everybody and found an older couple that lost their Maine Coon female after having her for 18 years. They came to see her and spent hours on the floor until Itsy came out to them and started to flirt. The lady almost cried because Itsy looks like the cat they lost. She'll be the only cat in a quiet household and I think she'll be happier that way but I'm going to miss how sweet she is with me.
Yes, females are a little different. I had 4 of them years ago and they liked to be left alone sometimes but I had them since they were young and got used to the others.
Mixy, my kitten, thinks she can do whatever, and poor Jonesy get picked on by her. She's always in a hurry while he's very calm and sweet.
She's like "pet me and see ya! Gotta go!"

Unread 08-27-2008   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh dear,I'm so sorry you had to let Itsy go,but at least you found a very special home for her.Will you visit her at all?xxxxx
Unread 08-28-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

I'm sorry & happy at the same time for Itsy. Good luck!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 08-28-2008   #7 (permalink)
fatbuttmut

Yes, I'll be able to visit and they keep in contact with me. They agreed that if she doesn't like it there, they will return her to me but I could tell they were happy to have her and were always very sweet to her. He's even building her a cat tree and other things to make her comfortable. I got a good feeling from them but it's still hard to see her go and I'm going to miss her.
I guess Weewee and her just didn't care for each other or she was not used to being around bigger cats. Goodness! Everybody says Weewee looks bigger than some of the small breed dogs they have seen but he's my little baby, and he knows it. LOL
Jonesy is learning to be like Weewee and is very laid back and sweet. Mixy should have been called "220" because she's electric. LOLOL

Unread 08-28-2008   #8 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh thats nice.I still see Dylans kittens that I gave away,they're gorgeous.Nothing like the 2 I kept though.So Weewee,Jonesy and Mixy are getting along fine are they?Take care,bye,Che.xxxxx
Unread 08-28-2008   #9 (permalink)
fatbuttmut

Those three get along really good. If I ever get another one it will be a young one who is used to being around other cats.

Unread 08-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Well there's no chance of me getting any more,7 is quite enough.Him indoors said he will leave me if another set of paws comes through the door.Ha.xxxxx

Tags
art , baby , beautiful , bite , box , breed , calm , care , cat , cats , dogs , female , fights , found , fur , girl , great , groom , growling , growls , happy , hey , hissing , home , hurt , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , lost , love , maine coon , morning , nervous , new home , nice , night , pet , problems , scared , small , territorial , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links