It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2008   #1 (permalink)
bgiraffey

Exclamation help!!!

Me and my room mate have just "acquired" taking care of a friends cat because his room mates won't let the cat stay there, so we have no problem taking care of him.
I have lived with Oden previously at my last apartment, and then i moved and the guy i bought Oden with moved into another apartment too. so Oden was living at the other apartment with a room mate who felt it was "helpful" to be mean to Oden when he would pee on things. When the guy i bought oden with moved out of the apt. with the mean room-mate the place he moved to a place where the lease signers wouldn't allow him to have the cat there so Oden was staying at another friends place with two other cats and three dogs, when one of the cats started "beating up" on Oden and he peed on the counter probably because he was threatened and didn't feel safe going anywhere else.
So back to the situation, he is staying with me and my room mate now and he is still peeing on things. so far it has only been blankets.
but we want to avoid him peeing on the new furniture that my boyfriend has bought, or peeing on something we can't throw into a washer. We just moved his litter box into the main bathroom, where previously it was in the "hallway" which may have been too busy for him. I know he must feel much safer here than he has anywhere else because as soon as he was let out of the crate when he got here he started purring. he loves sitting with me and my room mate and we both feed him.
we can't figure out what the problem is, or how to fix it. Even though he hasn't been my cat for most of his life, and he isn't my room mates cat, we both have enough compassion to try and figure out what the problem is and help Oden. (my icon is a pic of him as a kitten)
please help us!!! thank you!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-26-2008   #2 (permalink)
Hiss

is he squatting to pee on things or lifting his tail and squirting the pee onto vertical surfaces?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-27-2008   #3 (permalink)
dmcwlvssr

Might try keeping him in a more confined quiet area for a bit. Vet visit to rule out medical issues too

Unread 08-27-2008   #4 (permalink)
bgiraffey

he is squatting to pee on the blankets.
its a pretty small apartment, and its only me and my room mate. aside from locking him in a bathroom i don't think it could get any more smaller or quieter.

Unread 08-27-2008   #5 (permalink)
Hiss

territorial marking is usually spraying on vertical surfaces so I think you can rule out that, next thing I'd say would be best is to take him to the vet and check for a UTI
or urinary tract infection.

Tags
apartment , box , boyfriend , care , cat , cats , confined , dogs , friends , fur , furniture , infection , kitten , litter , litter box , medical , pee , peeing , problem , small , territorial , vet

Sponsored Cat Links