It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2008   #1 (permalink)
rickg

Default please help

Hello all - having a little problem with our kitties -

We have 4 girls -2 older ones I call Jabba and Stupid Mean Cat (she's Siamese) and two younger sisters, Poof and Mouth.

When I was at work tonight, my girlfriend called, and said they went crazy. They normally get along fairly well, they play together, groom each other, share food- never had a problem. Tonight though, Mouth and Poof seem to have declared war on ... well... everything. Mouth is hissing, swiping, and growling at everyone and everything - I've had to lock her up - Poof is pretty docile towards my girlfriend and me, but she's really skittish - she growls and hisses at the other cats, and just took a swipe at my foot (she generally rubs and is a very affectionate little creature). I can't tell if the older ones are starting anything, or just defending themselves from the little ones' aggression. The little ones are just under a year old, I'm not sure about the older ones. Any advice? To the best of my knowledge, they haven't been exposed to anything that would have left a smell. Mouth, in fact, is in her cage right now, hissing and growling at the wall. I'm worried about leaving her locked up much longer... please help if you can

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-26-2008   #2 (permalink)
Hiss

the first question in my mind is

are they spayed?

then

how new are the younger two? How long have they all been in the same house?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-26-2008   #3 (permalink)
rickg

They're all spayed, the little ones just got the operation a few months ago, and have been here almost a year.

I've been watching them - the older ones seem to just be defending their honor -they aren't instigating any of it. It's just the two little ones, and I can't tell which one is actually the agressor. It's full on kitty war though, and I'm worried they'll hurt each other.

Unread 08-26-2008   #4 (permalink)
Hiss

It kinda just sounds like a personality clash to me. I can't be sure as I can't see what is going on.

Are they facing off? like do they circle each other with fur raised and escalating rowling?

Or is it surprise attacks? like one coming around the corner and jumping on another?

bear with me I'm trying to get a picture of what's going on..

also...have you introduced any new things into their enviroment? like prized toys? desirable scratching posts, etc. ?

you might also want to scheduale a vet visit for your little girls if they are the aggressors. Sometimes physical issues can cause aggression.

just trying to scratch possibilities of the list....

Unread 08-27-2008   #5 (permalink)
dmcwlvssr

redirected aggression? My cats will fight each other when they see a neighbor cat outside

Unread 08-27-2008   #6 (permalink)
rickg

they are actually hardcore fighting - I've never seen any of them act like this.

Now one of the older ones is actively starting it. It's so out of character for these cats. I can't think of anything new in their environment that would cause it - we haven't gotten them any new toys in awhile. We may have to take them to a vet - my girlfriends nervous about that, because she used to work at a vet, and she thinks they'd immediatly put them down for being feral.

Tags
advice , affectionate , aggression , cat , cats , crazy , environment , feral , fight , food , fur , groom , growling , growls , hardcore , hey , hissing , house , hurt , jumping , kitties , kitty , mean cat , personality , picture , play , problem , question , scratching , siamese , smell , spayed , toys , vet

Sponsored Cat Links