It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2008   #1 (permalink)
kanc

Default Two cats not getting along

I have two cats that do not get along very well and I always have to keep them separated. One upstairs, one downstairs. One of the cats is a nine year old female who has been here a few years. Whenever she sees the other cat, she does not move at all and hisses and growls. The other is a fourteen year old male who I got last month. He is curious and always tries to approach the female even if she does not want him around her. The female is happy as long as she is left alone, but the curious male always wants to go downstairs and start trouble.

What usually ends up happening is the male chases the female into a corner, and then he simply sits and guards that corner and does not let her out. This is the main problem I am currently having and need help with.

There have been a couple fights before. I'm looking for some advice how to get the cats to be more friendly towards each other so I don't have to separate them all the time.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-27-2008   #2 (permalink)
kanc

Here's an experience I had to give you a better idea of the situation. I'm not sure whether to just let them work it out or to slowly reintroduce them.

The male will probably just corner the female again and they will both be sitting near each other, the female unable to move. Once I tried moving the female out of the corner and the male just chased her, probably to corner her again. So I had to get the male away but I was too scared to pick him up because he gets really violent ("redirected aggression" I think you call it?) so I had to put some shoes on and scare him away lol. He scratched my shoes a bunch of times but ran upstairs and I got them separated again. Thankfully none got hurt. Sometimes I think the male just wants some excitement and wants something to scratch at (we do have scratching poles that they use). But that's the situation I'm in. Maybe next time I won't interfere until they actually start fighting.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
Ownedby2

I hope I don't end up in your situation. I have just introduced a new male kitten (4 or 5 months old) to my house and my Princess cat doesn't let him near her. The closest we've come to a fight so far is when I was playing with the Princess and then the young Prince came over to play with the same toy. Princess lashed at him, but he back out quickly.

Anyway, I have been reading up on this stuff and one idea I like which might work for you is to feed them at the same time but separated by a screen or something. This way they associate good things (food) with each other and it helps. In your case, you may want to reintroduce them. possibly even bathing them and rubbing each with a towel scented by the other before the reintroduction. (That's what I plan to do if my two don't get along before the Prince has to go get neutered. When he comes back, I'll isolate him for a bit then take her to be bathed at the groomer (I've never done this before, but a friend of mine has her cat bathed there every few months.) I'll bathe him at home and then bring them together (each in a different cage/carrier) only for their meals for about a week. I'll make a habit of keeping them in separate rooms and letting them out ONLY to be together to eat and play. If they fight, each goes back to his/her room. If they have more fun and food while together than when alone, they may start appreciating each other. Anyway, that's what I'm going to try. I am answering you not because I am an expert, but because I thought in your place I'd want an answer.

Tags
advice , aggression , art , cat , cats , female , fight , fighting , fights , food , friendly , fun , growls , happy , hey , home , house , hurt , kitten , male , moving , playing , problem , scared , scratching , shoes

Sponsored Cat Links