It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-18-2008   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyHearts is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please HELP, I don't want to get rid of my cats.

Hello, I'm new here and I've come for any offered help. My house REEKS of cat urine. No one will visit me at my house, not even family. I clean and clean but can't seem to win. My house is carpeted and I can't get rid of the smell. It's in the carpet, the furniture, the walls, the air, -- Everything! Now my house does NOT look like what you would see on Animal Cops on Animal Planet. My house *LOOKS* just fine and dandy. It just stinks. (Now, the carpet only looks fine but it isn't.)

How do I thoroughly clean the carpet and get rid of the SMELL?! And KEEP it under CONTROL?!

That's the jest of my situation and my question, but if you'd like to know more, in case that might help... :

Okay, now sit down and hold on tight to your heart .... I have 13 cats and they all live inside the house. (Plus 5 dogs and a ferret. Only 2 dogs are inside all the time.) The house is fairly large, I don't know the actual measurements, but to give you an idea my house has: 4 large bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, eat-in kitchen, living room w/fireplace, and a front room (we don't know what the room is supposed to be so we call it the "front room").

Now, I know the obvious answer here would be, "get rid of the cats!", as I'm often told. But seriously, they all are my babies and I really do Not want to "get rid" of any of my babies. Just the thought of getting rid of any of them seriously depresses me. Yet, loosing the cleanliness battle also depresses me with the feeling of hopelessness.

So ...

* My cats Are NOT offspring of offspring, they are fixed with the exception of 2 left to be spayed. (Working on that.)

* They all typically get along, every now and then there will be a spat. But the very 2 having a spat will be curled up together later on.

* Their ages range from 15 years old down through 3 years old.

* I currently have 3 self-cleaning litter boxes, which I clean out daily.

* (Seriously gross) My cats, but not all, are repeatedly doing their business outside of the litter boxes. I have carpet, which makes this matter worse. They will urinate on the carpet, on plastic bags, in their empty food dish!, in the tub, in the bathroom sink, on one particular desk , and on anything you leave on the floor.

I'm working on taking each one to the vet to see if they have Urinary Tract Infection. I'm getting them in as quick as I can but that's like $50. a pop per cat. Which among food, shots, flea and tick prevention - that adds up. Plus I'm still paying on Samurai's surgery and Mandy is going in on the 24th of this month for surgery to remove 3 tumors. (Which actually Mandy's $ is Extremely Low considering how much $'s it took for Samurai's surgery )

I understand, and hear all the time, "If you can't afford to take care of the pet, don't have the pet", but I am trying my hardest. I am really looking for all and any alternate options to re-homing any of my cats. If you know anything I can do or try, I would greatly appreciate any help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-18-2008   #2 (permalink)
Neko

If you have more than one male, they will try to mark their territory.
It might be idea to give them more freedom and let them go outside?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

My you do have a houseful,well done for caring and loving them all,I'm Cheryl by the way,owned by 7 fluffy kids.When you clean after them,what do you use?A vetinary nurse told me to clean thoroughly with soapy water and then with a clean cloth wipe the area with surgical spirits.xxxxx
Unread 10-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
pattyp

Smile

How many litter boxes do you have? What kind of litter do you use? This sounds more like a litter box aversion than a physical problem.

What do you feed your cats?

I have 24 cats and 3 dogs. 14 of the cats have access to an outdoor enclosure, 3 are outdoor ferals and the rest are indoor only. I do not have an odor problem.

Let's see if we can figure out how to solve your problem.

Patty P

Unread 10-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hey Che, we are a "little mums"; did you see how many kits Patty has?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 10-20-2008   #6 (permalink)
Laura the spanish

And I'm a tiny tiny mummy!!!!

Unread 10-20-2008   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

I don't think so dear Laura, you must count your other lovely pets also...

Unread 10-20-2008   #8 (permalink)
Laura the spanish

You're right dear, in total they are 9 pets... and we are 3 humans... Pray God they won't declare us the war!!! We are in minority

Unread 10-20-2008   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

They won't, I'm sure!

Unread 10-20-2008   #10 (permalink)
pattyp

That's what happens when you do rescue and fostering work. I was living in Mississippi when Katrina hit in 2005 so everyone I was fostering plus the feral colony I was caring for had to move to Maryland. There was no way I was going to leave any of them to the mess that the shelters were in down there.

Patty P

Tags
addition , animal , birds , canned food , care , carpet , cats , clean , cleaning , colony , dogs , female , feral , food , fostering , found , free , great , hey , home , indoor , infection , kitties , kitty , litter , litter boxes , male , mat , mess , neuter , outdoor , pee , person , problem , rescue , shelters , small , spay , spay/neuter , surgery , too many cats , urine , uti

Sponsored Cat Links