It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-18-2008   #1 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

Default Kitty Licks ALOT!!??

Hey Ladies and Gents, I have been off for a very long time. And for that I apolgize. Moved into house and got married. But my cat, the youngest, who is 1 and half. Has a new bad habbit!? HE LICKS EVERYTHING!!! Especially, in the bathroom? Our electronic toothbrush base, the mouth wash container, the soap container. You name it he licks it! He has access to food and water at all times. And the thing is he is losing interest in his cat food and wants people food and begs like a dog! We can't switch foods b/c the older cat almost died from urinary problems. So is on prescription food from the vete. Anybody else's cat do this? Any ideas? B/C this is completely new for him? And now he is throwing up more than usual at times?? I would appreciate any feedback~Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome back!

I'm Maya, the mum of 6 sweet furkids

I'm afraid I cannot help you on this. No one of my kits did it...
What did the vet say?

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-20-2008   #3 (permalink)
pattyp

So, are you feeding both cats the prescription diet? What food is it? Dry or canned?

Patty P

Unread 10-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

I haven't talked to the vete yet. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill if thats the case. The food is dry by science diet. Both cats get it. The vete says it is better than the commercial stuff and we can't risk Pun the older when getting older foods. A-Rod the lickers has been on it since he was a year old. So I don't it is the food. I just don't know what it is?

Unread 10-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
pattyp

Firstly, vets know very little about cat nutrition. They only get a few hours of training and are taught by, guess who? Hill's Science Diet. Hill's has a lock on vets because not only do they teach the nutrition course in vet schools but they also supply the vet students with free food. I'm not try to knock your vet, it's the only things he knows.
Dry food is probably the worst thing you can give a cat with urinary tract problems and really shouldn't be fed to a cat that is healthy. The prescription diet has a urinary acidifier in it and long term use may cause the formation of calcium oxalate stones which have to be removed surgically. If it were me I would try putting both cats on a high quality, grain-free canned food or feed a fresh diet.
Science diet is full of grains,which cats do not digest well as they are obligate carnivores, as well as chemical preservatives. The moisture content in dry food is only 10-11% as the moisture content of a species appropriate food is 68-70%.

Try the diet change for a couple of weeks and see if you notice any change.

Let me know if you need more info.

Patty P

Unread 10-20-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Interesting... I don't know what to say! Does he lick you also?
Hope to see pics of the two soon! (you will be able to upload pics in a thread only )

Unread 10-20-2008   #7 (permalink)
Laura the spanish

Hi!!! Are you sure he doesn't need a different meal?? I mean a "regular cat" meal. Maybe he is searching for some mineral this food doesn't have due to be special for urinary problems.....

Unread 10-21-2008   #8 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

A-Rod does lick us too. Not quite like he looks other things but yes. I too thoguht maybe like a vitamin is lacking from his diet. So I started him on canned cat food 4 days ago. So I guess I will see how it works out. But Thank You so much for all your help!

Unread 10-22-2008   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

You welcome. Now, the pics please!

Unread 10-22-2008   #10 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

I have a pic of A-Rod on my profile. Can you add pivtures to a thread? If so I will put the whole zoo up!

Tags
baby , bites , black , canned food , car , cat , cat food , cats , commercial , cute , diet , dog , dry , feedback , food , free , fur , grey , healthy , hey , house , interesting , kitty , love , nutrition , problems , profile , stress , test , training , upload , vet , wash , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links