It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-18-2008   #1 (permalink)
Oso

Default Problem with Oso, Manchada, and Reina

I'm hoping this is the right spot for this. I tried to post in Cat Advice but it would not let me.

When we first brought the kittens in the house Oso hissed and hissed and showed how he was unhappy. We knew we were going to have problems with Oso bringing in 2 baby kittens when he's been a solitary cat all his life. He's a little over a year old and I then decided to get online and see if there was anything on how to introduce them to eachother. I read that when Oso hisses that you're supposed to just let him hiss. But if a fight starts out then break it up. Well I did that and after a couple of days he started to act like he wanted to play with them. I've set up boundaries for both Oso and the kittens. Oso has his own room, litter box, and food dish. The kittens have their own litter box and food dish. They however have to share a water bowl. The first day was rough with watching Oso. But he was getting much better. He finally stopped hissing at me.

Well today he's back to the habit of hissing. I've been giving Oso the same attention I used to while still giving the kittens attention. He still will not allow them to sniff him besides his face or rub on him. He's back to hissing at me. I realize he's upset but I don't know what else to do. Please help with any feed back you can.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Jessica!

Pls be patient. You must give Oso more time to get used to the kittens.
You'll see that in a week or so all will be better, believe me.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
Oso

So I'm doing everything correct? Is there anything else I could be doing?

Unread 10-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Red face

Nothing incorrect from your side, only some patience needed...

Unread 10-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
Oso

Well I'm glad I'm not doing anything wrong. Oso is part Siamese... Fire Point I believe. This is what I don't understand when we first brought the kittens he got upset of course but then he calmed down a little bit, trying to play with them but still unsure. Would not let them rub on him or sniff his rear. Well he started back to hissing at them and at me a couple days ago again. He actually tried to bite me while I was petting him last night. My husband did the same thing but he didn't care. Didn't hiss or growl or nothing. Why me? Why is he going back and forth? Also, if he's around us and they come over, he leaves. Doesn't wanna be around them.

Unread 10-20-2008   #6 (permalink)
Oso

Sorry if I keep bothering anybody with this but it just seems like the life has gone out of him. All he's been doing is sleeping. Won't play or anything like he used to. When I go near him he tenses. Javier can get close to him no problem. He doesn't even react when I pet him. I'm sorry, but this just upsets me deeply. I love Oso to death. He's my baby. Javier can pet him and he won't hiss. It's just me. Is this part of the process? When he hisses at me should I just leave him alone?

Unread 10-21-2008   #7 (permalink)
pattyp

Most of this sounds stress related, but please keep an eye on Oso to make sure that he is eating and using the bathroom normally as stress can sometimes cause physical problems i.e., Urinary track infections, anorexia.

Stress can most times be helped by Bach's Rescue Remedy. Just apply a couple of drops to the back of his ears a couple of times a day.

Another thing you can try,although much more expensive than the rescue remedy, is a Comfort Zone plug in diffuser.

Patty P

Unread 10-21-2008   #8 (permalink)
Oso

Oh yea, he's eating normal and using the litter box normal. He's drinking water normal. But that's the only thing he's doing normal. Plus the fact that he tenses up whenever I walk by him and he hisses at me but with my husband, he goes into his touch and won't tense up. Also has never hissed at him.

Unread 10-21-2008   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Well, at least he's eating & drinking normally. If he hisses at you, leave him alone to avoid any stress.
Do you use parfum or a new one? Maybe there is something new on you he doesn't like, just think...

Unread 10-21-2008   #10 (permalink)
Oso

No, it's not the perfume. I'm just hoping that he gets over this soon. I've been trying to give him space but also giving him a little attention. Hope I'm doing right.

Tags
advice , angry , antibiotic , art , babies , baby , bite , bites , bowel , box , boy , care , cat , changed , clean , crying , eating , eye , eyes , fever , fight , fighting , fire , food , gift , great , growl , happy , hey , hiss , hissing , home , house , kittens , laser , litter , litter box , love , mat , night , not eating , pee , pet , play , playing , pro pet , problem , problems , rescue , search , siamese , sleeping , stress , upset , water , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links