It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-02-2008   #1 (permalink)
I<3Ginger

Default 1st time cat owner-urination problems -need advice please!

Hi Everyone-- Iam a first time cat owner and new to the site. I am in need of help and advice please!

I will try to make this as short as i can, but here is the history--

My fiance and I love animals but lived in an apt. which would not allow them. Periodically, stray cats would come along and we would feed them. We would always try to befriend them but they would not have it. Back in June, one started coming around we had never seen before. Again, my fiance had gone outside to try to be friendly but this time, the cat came right up to him and started purring. He noticed immediately she was declawed when he picked her up! We knew she obviously belonged to someone. About 2 weeks went by and she kept coming back. We did give her food and water just in case. One VERY rainy thunderstorm night, we found her at our door again soaken wet. We dried her off and left the door open so if she wanted to come in, it was at her own terms. She did. I was hesitant to allow her to stay but felt too bad to let her back out in the rain.

That night, she slept under the coffee table, and at about 5 am, my fiance let her out (to pee)- We did not have a litter box because we did not intend for her to stay the night. We let her back out in the morning because we could not keep her and had to go to work. We both felt terrible. As soon as we returned home from work, within minutes, she was at our door again. This time we both decided we were going to look for her owners and keep her if we couldn't find them.

With that, we went out, bought a litter box and made an appt. for the vet the next day. ( On a side note-- we had planned on moving Sept. 1st and knew our next apt. complex allowed pets. We took our chances keeping her in our apt. for the 3 months until the move)

As soon as we got the litter box she immediately started using it NO PROBLEMS! We went to the vet, he estimated her age at about 1 yr, couple of months, overall good condition, broken tooth that healed itself, declawed and fixed! All tests came back fine. He also felt she was either abandoned or lost. We looked for her possible owners, checked craigslist, nothing! So we named her Ginger (she is orange and white) and she was happily ours.

Fast forward to September. We are now in our new apt. Ginger has adjusted well and was going to her box just fine. From the moment we adopted her, we have had NO Problems until now.

About 2 weeks ago, she had started peeing outside her box! In a span of 3 days, she went next to the box, in our bedroom 2x (up against our NEW furniture) and up against the wall in the living room. I immediately went online to read why this could be happening after all this time of ALWAYS going in the box. All i kept reading about was a possible UTI and immediately made an appt. the next day for the vet. (she WAS pooping in the box)

We did not have a urine sample but the vet put her on baytril for a "possible" uti. She began using the box again. (??) Could it be that easy??? Needless to say, i am very diligent with cleaning the box and keep my eye on her and her habits. I noticed she did not poop for 3 days from the day she started taking the baytril. I knew this could not be normal and called the vet.

Went back, did an xray, and she was constipated. They did an enema and she started taking lactulose. She started to get back on track but there was one day where i had noticed she did not pee ALL day until 7pm! (i found no evidence of it anywhere and had my eye on her ALL DAY!) . Called vet again because this did not seem right. Brought her back next day. More xray's. This time they did take a urine sample and sent it out. She had another enema (wasnt nearly as bad as the first) and the xrays were fine. They said they looked for all possible problems. Urine sample is now back and i was told everything was normal. No uti, no crystals, nothing. I was sooo happy! Id rather be called overly paranoid than sorry. She was back to going in the box and pooping regularly.

Tonite --- she peed outside of the box again!!!! I found it rather quickly, and cleaned it very well. About 1 hr. later i saw her going in the direction of the box. Sure enough, she pooped in there! Why is this happening! Why would she pee outside the box sometimes, pee inside most of time, and poop inside!! I am very upset by this and i do not know what to do. I started reading online about "cat attract" litter. Has anyone had success with this?? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I feel if i call the vet again, she may think iam crazy cat mommy but I do not understand Ginger's behavior??
Any thoughts?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-03-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome you & Ginger!

I'm Maya, the mum of 6 spoiled & lovely furkids you can see in my gallery
If the vet said everything is normal, you don't need to be worried at all.
My 3 year old Siamese, Merlin is doing this sometimes & he's healthy.
I noticed he pees when my other kits bother him or when we are busy & tries to drow our attention.
I think everything is Okay, maybe something annoys him...

Good luck & keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-03-2008   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

That's a lovely story of you rescuing Ginger,sorry about your problem though,like Maya says,this sometimes happens.I have 7 fluffy kids,I have to lock my youngest 2 in the living room at night so they can't get out,I took the litter tray out the other day,but a little bit of litter was on the living room floor,well one of the others went and weed on the floor,cos they could smell the little granules of litter.What do you clean the floor with after his accident?xxxxx
Unread 11-03-2008   #4 (permalink)
kittenmummy

my 7 week old female is doing the same thing in the cornour or my bed. some one said that the could be marking there terriory much like males do.
last year i had a ginger female about 7 months old that did this to my flat mates colthes and bedding but not mine or my sons it started a day after she moved in like she was saying she's mine i thought it was so weired she did this but the vet said they do sometimes if there is a smell they don't like and want to mask
sorry that this really does not help you but at least your not alone

Last edited by kittenmummy; 11-03-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Unread 11-03-2008   #5 (permalink)
I<3Ginger

Thanks for the feedback. In response to Che-- I have been cleaning the carpet with a product i bought from the vet. It takes the enzymes away. I also put aluminum foil over the "scene of the crime" once it has been thoroughly cleaned. (so far she has not gone to the same spot 2x- just same room)

As for an update though. She DID pee in her box this morning-thus confirming my confusion for all of her recent actions. I plan to go out this morning and purchase the "cat attract" litter so i will let you know my thoughts on the product. Any and all additional advice or suggestions are still appreciated.

Im glad to hear I am not the only one in this situation however it is so frustrating and has me concerned. I really don't want this to become a habit.

Unread 11-03-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Of course this is a VERY BAD HABIT, but sometimes you cannot do anything to avoid it, sorry...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-03-2008   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

A vetinary nurse told me after cleaning with soapy water,or whatever you use,but not bleach.Then wipe over the area with surgical spirits on a cloth,good luck.xxxxx

Tags
adopted , advice , age , behavior , box , carpet , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , crazy , eye , fixed , food , found , friendly , fur , furniture , happy , hey , home , iam , litter , litter box , lost , love , morning , moving , night , pee , peeing , problems , story , stray , thoughts , upset , urine , uti , water

Sponsored Cat Links