It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2008   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

nastursim is on a distinguished road
Default new mother straying

I have a cat who is probably a year old now, she was an adopted dumped kitten, and she had 7 little kittens 5 days ago. She has been a wonderful mother and very attentive to her little babies, but that is only during the day, when night comes she wanders off and leaves them for hours, i have to call her back to feed them, and she will feed them and off she goes again. If i do not wake in the night, thankfully i am a nursing mum too, she would not come back until morning. WHy is she doing this? Is it possible for them to get enough milk in the day to get through the night?? The other strange thing is that it has been raining for the last 3 days and she still goes off and comes back all wet and gets into the box with them. I worry for the kittens

Last edited by nastursim; 11-12-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-12-2008   #2 (permalink)
Soun4getable

My suggestion is don't let momma cat out. She could get sick, or hit by a car and then be unable to nurse her kittens leaving two options. Death for the kittens or the joys of bottle feeding the new babies which requires lots of time. Also, she could easily become pregnant again. Cats can go back into heat before their babies are weaned virtually turning momma into a baby factory. I would keep her in the house until the kittens are weaned and then immediately arrange to have her spayed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-12-2008   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome
What's your name & your kits's?
I'm Maya, the mum of 6 spoiled furkids you can see in my gallery

I cannot tell you for sure because never had a cat mum but I know the she can leave her kits alone for some hours to look for food. In your case is very interesting because I suppose she has "all the food in the world "
The best will be not to let the mum out, not only for the kittens but for her also; there is lots of dangers out there.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-12-2008   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Yes,don't let her out,when my girl Dylan had her kits last summer,I was lucky,she didn't want to go out.She gave birth in my spare room,everything was in there for her,food water and litter tray.She was amazing.xxxxx

Tags
adopted , amazing , babies , baby , birth , box , car , cat , cats , food , girl , heat , house , interesting , kitten , kittens , litter , lucky , morning , night , pregnant , sick , spayed , wake , water , weaned , worry

Sponsored Cat Links