It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-08-2008   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
babycrazed

Default OK, we have a 7 year old fixed male cat...

Hello, this is my first post here and I just had a few quick questions for you. My husband got his cat "Buddy" when he was still single. Buddy was feral. lol. He wanted a cat and his friend lived on a farm with all sorts of wild cats. He trapped Buddy by using a can of tuna and a kennle. We estimate that Buddy was about 6mo old when he "caught" him. Since then Buddy has become our best friend and is very affectionate.He even loves our two daughters ( 5 and 4 years old) He suffers from a urinary problem and has since been fixed and basically turned into a female cat. The vet had to redirect everything for him so that he quit getting crystals and wouldn't get sick anymore. We keep him on a diet of special urinary tract food and I was just wondering a few different things.
I am planning on getting my husband a kitten for christmas and was wondering if the kitten got into any of Buddy's special food if it would do any serious damage. Obviously the kitten will be on kitten food and such but i was wondering if he would get sick if he got into it. We also have a chihiuahua that is Buddy's age and they now get along fine. Once in a while you will catch them cuddling together in the sunlight on a pillow on our bed. its cute.
My other question is the kitten i have picked out is up to date with shots so far and such but she is a female.She will also be a strictly inside cat.Is it better to get a female and male or do males get along better. I didn't want a male cause of the spraying. Buddy wasn't fixed till after I came along. - I kinda demanded it. was tired of the smell of his spray all the time.
Do you think there will be any problems since she is female. I know males can get pretty obstinate about their territory.
Im not worried about our dog because she is so motherly its funny. She has certain toys that are her "babies" and mothers them even.
I guess I am just worried that Buddy and the new kitten won't get along. Btw Buddy is not declawed. I just can't find it in my heart to do it. to me it seems cruel to deprive them of their only natural defense mechanism. That said he never uses them on us at all. Which is nice. Sorry my post is so long. I know my husband will be estatic about getting another cat. We are total animal lovers, and our children will love this aswell.
any input will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-08-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

I'm Maya, owned by 6 spoilt furkids I love to pieces & you can see in my gallery

To your question: it doesn't matter if you get a kitten male or female because they need to be neutered, that's the best for their health. My 5 month old Dino will be neutered this month or next maybe, that's the optimal age for it.
Also, give the kitten special kitten food & when older Adult food only, never give Buddy's, it is something special for him. It can be harmful for
the newcomer.
I'm also dead against declawing, I think most of the owners are. There is a long thread in this site about this subject.

I promise you that Buddy & the new kitten will get used each one to the other, don't worry. In the beginning it will be difficult but in 1-2 weeks or so they will get along. It happened to me each time there is a newcomer here.
I hope it was helpful...

Bye for now,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-08-2008   #3 (permalink)
babycrazed

Hi and thank you for responding to my thread. The new kitty will definitely be getting fixed as well , just in case she gets out i don't think we could handle a batch of kittens. as much as i would love them i couldn't keep them and lol i know i would want to.
When we do get this new kitten I think i am going to keep buddy's food in the bathroom and the new kitten's i will just sit by till she's done then put it away for now... not sure how that will work but i guess we'll find out. it will be easier to keep her away from buddy's for a while till she get big enough to get on my bathroom counter. Strange as it sounds he never gets on my counters in the kitchen just the bathroom. smart cat the only thing i worry about is when it comes to bed time as well. Buddy sleeps with us on our bed usually cuddled next to my belly or my feet. He's good at staying away from my face. I would like to have the kitten sleep with us in the bed room as well but i guess we'll see how well Buddy gets along with her to start with.
Thanks again

Unread 12-08-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Wink

FYI, I separated the new kitten from the other/s with my first cats. Now,
with the last ones I decided to leave the newcomer with the others & nothing happened, believe me. The kitten knew very well how to defend himself, he generally runned below the sofa if someone wanted to hurt him...

Unread 12-08-2008   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi,I'm Cheryl,mum of 7 fluffy kids,Maya answered all your questions,I'd just like to say that 5 years ago after losing 2 out of my 3 cats,I decided to get another.I only had Cat left,he was 7 at the time,so I got a little 7 week old girl and named her Marley.Cat was scared of her at first,but after an hour or so he was washing her and they were chasing each other round the house.They still have a very close bond.xxxxx
Unread 12-09-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

Only one hour, what a miracle! Mine was after a week or so...

Unread 12-09-2008   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Only one hour, what a miracle! Mine was after a week or so...
This was just the experience I had with Cat and Marley.With the others I introduced it was different.xxxxx
Unread 12-09-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

How different?

Unread 12-09-2008   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Well when Marley came,I only had Cat,so they bonded straight away.Then Floyd came,Marley growled at him for 2 days.Cat was jealous of him.So it took a bit longer for them to accept him.But there wasn't that special bond.Then Jovi came along.It took about a week for them to accept her.But Jovi was Floyds girl.They had the bond that Cat and Marley had.xxxxx
Unread 12-09-2008   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Oh, I see...

Tags
affectionate , animal , another cat , babies , belly , cat , cats , children , christmas , cute , diet , dog , female , feral , fixed , food , fun , funny , girl , hey , hurt , kitten , kitten food , lovers , male , mat , natural , new kitten , nice , problem , problems , scared , sick , smart , smell , toys , vet , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links