It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-27-2008   #1 (permalink)
te622993

Smile can't clip cat's nails

Hello.
I have four cats. I can easily clip the nails for three of the cats. The fourth cat will not let me clip his nails - he hisses, swats, and gets extremely agitated. It is an issue because this fourth cat's nails protrude when playing with his friends...

I am looking for any tips and/or advice about how to deal with this problem. Does anyone have an effective alternative to nail clipping that keeps those paws less "dagger-like"?

Thanks in advance!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-27-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome,

I'm Maya, the Mom of 6 spoilt furkids you can see in my gallery
What's your name & your kits'?

Tricky thing, isn't it? It is really hard to clip them the nails, I know.
Mine don't like it also so, my hubby holds them up & I clip them the nails, that's the only way... Maybe is someone who can help you?

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-27-2008   #3 (permalink)
nuts for norwegians

Hi
My young female Norwegian Forest cat was acting the same way! My husband would hold her while I tried to trim her nails and we would both be bleeding when it was all said and done. She is just 2 years old but she is short but mighty!!! The next time she needed her nails trimmed, I took her to a well respected groomer near us. Here is what she told me to do, 1) get one of those cones that fasten around her neck so she can't see you actually trimming her nails or the clippers for that matter, 2) secure the other 3 paws that you are not working on in a blanket or beach towel folded around her like a baby bunting, very snug but not hurting her, 3) if she still gets out of that wrap, use a self sticking ace bandage( not sticky just adheres to itself) to wrap the paws that you aren't working on at the time,and 4) who ever is holding the cat should remain very calm as the cat picks up on any tension and react accordingly.
We used the cone and towel method the next time she needed a nail trim and things went so smooth! After I trimm her nails with the nail clippers, I go back and slightly smooth the edges with one of those pedi-paw things just a little bit to finish them off.
Hope this helps you with your guys, Good Luck.

Debbie

Unread 12-28-2008   #4 (permalink)
kara_leigh

What I used to do with Gus was take a pair of my husband's jeans and lay them flat folded in half. I would roll him up in the jeans with all but one foot tucked in so he couldn't scratch, and the fabric was thick enough that even if he tried it wouldn't do any good. It may seem mean to some, but it was better than being on antibiotics every week b/c he would bite and scratch us to the point of infection. At that point, though, we only trimmed them once a month or so, and just lived with the frayed carpet and such.

Unread 12-28-2008   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

That is a good idea...

Unread 01-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Hi!

Pls read this article, it can be helpful:

To clip your cat's nails, you will need a pair of cat nail cutters. Once you feel confident handling your pet, place it on a table or countertop. Run your hands over its body and talk to it in a loving tone to help both of you relax. Most cats are comfortable lying on their bellies. Hover over the cat using your own body to keep it in place.
First, lift the left front paw. Do not lift it too high or twist it out to the side; it should be tucked near the cat for your own control and the cat's comfort and safety. Press down slightly on the soft paw pads. This activates the nails' "push-button" feature, automatically extending them for you to see. Clip only the clear, hooked portion, not the pink part closer to the paw, which is actually a vein. If you clip too close and nick it, it will bleed and cause the cat discomfort. It's not a major injury if you accidentally nick this vein. A dab of styptic powder or a rub from a soft bar of soap will stop the bleeding immediately.
With the cat still lying on your table or counter, proceed to the rear nails, lifting each paw only as much as needed to expose the nail. For squirmy cats, you may need a helper to hold the neck scruff so the cat won't twist and escape. When you are done, place the cat on the floor. Don't be surprised if it makes a hasty retreat. If you succeed at performing this important chore, you have good reason to feel proud. Keeping your cat's nails well-trimmed will significantly cut down on damage to your furniture and make life much more pleasant.

Unread 01-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi! I trim my cats nails, too. One of my cats really hates having her paws touched and it took three years of delicate training to bring her to the point of allowing me to trim her nails.

First, I did (still do) daily Paw Work. Every day I hold her in the position I planned to use for her nail trimming (in her case, up on a counter draped over my arm)

Next I have her treat at the ready (a small dot of mayonaise). I press each paw to express the nails out in turn, then release her and give her the tiny bit of mayo right away. She licks it from my finger.

Because, like your cat, her claws grow very fast, and are like talons, I have been taking her to the groomer every six weeks for the first three years she was with me, to have her nails trimmed. There is only one person she will allow to trim her nails, the groomer assistant.

Once the groomer refused to listen to me and tried to do it herself, and paid for it, but that is another story.

Anyway this past summer (kitty had now been with me 3 1/2 years) I began trying to snip just one claw at a time. I'd do the other cats, she'd watch, then I'd put her into position and just snip one claw, and release her.

After a few times of one claw it led to her tolerating two, and then one whole paw at one session!

By this fall she is now allowing me to do both front paws in one session, she gets a dot of mayo into her mouth every few seconds to keep her from biting me (the sounds she makes trying to growl and protest and lick her yummy mayo at the same time is hilarious)

It doesn't have to be mayo, if your kitty likes yogurt, that would probably be a little better for her. A treat like mayo or yogurt works best because you can just quick place a dot on her nose or mouth with out waiting for the cat to take it from you.

The amounts are very small, each "dot" is less than the size of a small pea.

Last edited by acerlt; 01-01-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Unread 01-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Catherine Lover is on a distinguished road

I can never really have this problem because I only have 1 cat (catherine), had her nails clipped except for back by the vet awhile after we got her, so I can't really have that problem because of that, but I would suggest taking her to the vet if it is to much of a hassle.

Unread 01-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
KittyCity

Hi! you can try the towel method- you can try having someone help you by scruffing him. You can by 'soft paws' that go over the nails. The safest? Is if your cat won't let you- take him to a groomer- or a vet, and have a professional do it. Its better for you- because if you get bit- the state could put the cat under quarentine. Seriously- you don't want that. Be careful.

Tags
advice , antibiotics , baby , bite , biting , bleed , calm , carpet , cat , cat's , cats , claws , clip , clipping , cut , fast , female , friends , fur , furniture , growl , infection , kitty , loving , mat , nail trim , nails , paw , pet , playing , problem , scratch , small , soft paws , stop , story , tips , training , vet

Sponsored Cat Links