It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2008   #1 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road
Default Maddie's Story

Hi everyone,

Those of you who know me also know the reason I was fortunate enough to find this board. It was all about Hannah, and how sick she was. Ultimately when she passed, you were all there to comfort and support me. With your help, I am getting through this. Every day is better.

Today, I want to tell everyone about another one of my cats, Maddie. It's a long story, so bear with me.

About 7 years ago, I found myself in the SPCA near my office. In the past couple years, two of my angels had passed to the Bridge, and I was feeling lonely. I wandered through the shelter, playing with all the cats who were uncaged in what they call the "community room". After awhile, I went down the hall to the rooms with the cages. There in the back was a cage. In that cage was a cat, just about a year old. She was huddled in the back in the corner. I asked one of the volunteers what her story was. They told me they had found her in a sack, thrown out in a field, like garbage. She had been badly abused. That was the first time I saw "Shelter Cat #796".

I asked the volunteer if she could open the cage door so I could pet her. She looked at me puzzled and told me that she didn't think the cat would allow that. She was very frightened of people. I told her I would like to try, so she opened the door. I moved slowly, but Shelter Cat 796 just curled up and tried to move as far away as she could. I left the shelter with my heart broken, but I wasn't about to give up. I went back the next day, and the next, and the day after that. Finally by day 4, she let me pet her. By day 7, I could pick her up, but she was still very frightened.

Three days later, she came home with me. I named her Madeline, Maddie for short. There were other cats in the house and she was terrified of them. Long story short, she spent her time here living on top of the refrigerator and the kitchen cupboards...food and all. She would meow when she needed the litter box, and she was promptly taxied back and forth. Oddly enough, she loved human contact. She would sneak into my bed at night to sleep by my head. She is a very loveable and obviously, a very forgiving kitty.

When Hannah became ill in October, I noticed a difference in Maddie. She started coming down off her perch. She would lay on my bed (a fair distance) from Hannah while she was sick, and she would watch her. Then I started noticing her on the kitchen floor...then she was going to the litter box on her own. Finally, she ventured into the living room and to the cat toys and proceeded to play. Lately, she has been finding a friend in Dynah (who really needs a friend, she misses Hannah terribly). They play hide and seek under the kitchen table, and then a game of 'soccer' with a golf ball.

The moral of the tale is never give up on a kitty with problems. It may take weeks, months or as in Maddie's case, even years. I'm not sure if it was Hannah's illness, or the fact that Hannah could be a bit of a bully at times. Maddie sensed her weakness, and decided she would now spend her life being a cat. Who knows what they think?? After 7 long years, Maddie is now happy and healthy, and well on her way to becoming a "normal" kitty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-28-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This is extraordinary story my friend Maddie can be proud of a Mom like you! Good girl!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-29-2008   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

Just an update.

As I said, she amazes me each day with a new feat of bravery. Last night, Maddie actually came and laid in my lap (much to Dynah's disapproval). I am confused but pleasantly surprised by her behavior.

What I enjoy most is that things I generally take for granted with my other cats, I see as a major accomplishment for Maddie.

I have never added a pic to a post, and I'm trying it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103106 004.jpg (91.0 KB, 6 views)
Unread 12-29-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Terrific news! It seems that Maddie is gradually changing her behaviour for good
By the way: SHE'S LUSH!

Unread 01-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
sapp_luvs_cats

Unhappy terrible

I had two kittens tammy and tina one which was tina was a mau egyptian tammy was a bengal they were very shy and frightened but after a few weeks she was friendly then I saw on the news a kitten had its arms and head cut off and same with dog and then there was a person who chopped off a puppys ears I was crying I later found out it was the same person who killed my ginger he died of brain damge and broken jaws and ribs from robbie and he also killed my tammy and tina mutalated I was heart broken then we moved and about 2 years later I got misty luckily we moved places she is a russian blue I rescued her fromnthe vets they had heaps they said they already put down 15 in a wk people take care and love your kitties they will be your friend for life.

Unread 01-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

I can never understand why people abuse animals. They are all so innocent and loving and they NEED us to care for them. It breaks my heart to read the news stories of animals who have been mistreated. It also makes me angry. Give me a few minutes with these idiots and I'll tell them a thing or two.
Unread 01-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank you! thank you for sharing your story, and for giving maddie a forever home, and for letting her progress at her own pace. You are a real Hero.

I've been bawling through the whole thing.

I don't understand how people can throw animals away like that. In a sack in a field. Out a car window (probably what happened) how can people do it? I've come across many stories of people who have happeend to be near when someone threw a cat or dog out a window of a moving car. How can people do it????
Unread 01-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Angry

Unfortunately, people can do worse than this

Unread 01-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Maddie is absolutely gorgeous Max.xxxxx
Unread 01-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

Default Official "Lap Cat"

Maddie news. . .

Maddie is becoming an official Lap Cat. She hasn't quite nudged out Dynah completely as she will share my lap with only her. The other cats are content to sit on the arm of the chair or on the bottom.

I am getting the biggest thrill out of every little thing Maddie does. I honestly think that she sensed my grief when losing Hannah, and she has decided that she will step up and "fill in" so to speak. It still boggles my mind that after 7 years, she has decided to join the family. They are strange and wonderful creatures and never cease to amaze me.

Tags
addition , behaviour , bengal , box , bully , car , care , cat , cat toys , cats , cool , crying , cut , dog , eyes , food , found , friendly , friends , fun , game , girl , growling , happy , healthy , hey , hissing , home , house , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , love , meow , mouse , moving , night , person , pet , playing , problems , shelter , sick , sleep , stories , story , tale , toothpaste , toys , window

Sponsored Cat Links