It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Catherine Lover is on a distinguished road
Default 2 things

1. Sometimes when I'm petting Catherine she will try to bite me for no reason, whats her reasoning?, I'm I doing anything wrong?

2. How do you properly hold a cat on a couch or chair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Sometimes cats get over stimulated with petting and or play. What you can do is learn Catherine's signals. As you pet her watch:

her ears (when they go back),

eyes (wild looking or staring at a tender part of your arm or hand),

tail (suddenly lashing)

Be aware of where you are petting her, where on her body I mean. Does she start to bite if you touch her tummy? Paws? and so on.

Catherine should not be allowed to bite you at all.

While you are learning her boundaries, she needs to be learning that biting is not acceptable. When she bites, stop what you are doing with her immediately, make a sharp ouch type sound and say No, Catherine! and turn your back on her and ignore her for a few minutes. Resist the urge to peek and see how she is taking it. If she comes to see what you are doing turn your back.

Do this consistently every time she bites and she will learn that biting her mama is not allowed. (A mama cat teaches her kittens how to behave with a bite or cuff and ignoring You can't bite or cuff, but the NO! Catherine, and ignore is just as effective)

This can take anywhere from a few days to weeks or months to be successful, but it is a tried and true method. I've trained two biters, one learned in three days, the other took 18 months (she was unsocialized and mean. Now she is a sweet Lovey)

Since at the same time you will be learning her boundaries, if you can stop the petting or play just before she bites, this will give her success. When you see her start to bite, but remember to stop in time, praise her and tell her how wonderful she is. the smartest sweetest prettiest cat that ever was ...you know! <ggg>

As for your other question, A cat will not be "put". Meaning you can't force a cat to sit anywhere, she'll sit on your lap or the couch or the chair if she wants. You can encourage her to use certain spots by putting a soft blankie in the chair, maybe sprinkle it with a little cat nip, to help her claim it as her own.

As for the lap...some cats are lap cat some aren't. does she get into your lap, then leave when you touch her? Try not touching her when she gets in your lap. does she get in your lap, then leave when you talk? Don't talk! and so on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Catherine Lover is on a distinguished road

Thanks a bunch acerlt!

Let's hope your methods work!I will inform you on what the results are after awhile.

Unread 01-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

They all do this when kittens. But don't allow her to continue doing it, I assure you that acerlt methods are the best.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
bite , bites , biting , cat nip , cats , eyes , hey , kittens , pet , play , question , stop , type , wild

Sponsored Cat Links