It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
KittyCity

Unhappy Trouble with cats.

First- my one kitten is 1 1/2 years. She has separation anxiety. We were told by a vet to get her a sibling so she has other things to do (then eat my carpet/destroy things). We did.

We had to lock them both in a room together (she's STILL bad, just not AS bad). They are locked in my laundry room. They have toys and beds and all that good stuff. The washing machine and Dryer actually have their backs all boarded up- because the first cat used to hide behind it and chew the wires. Then she would run up and down the vent from it. So, its all covered in cardboard. She now just chews on the cardboard- its calmed down some, but i don't mind that- she can't hurt that, and it won't hurt her.

Lately, the one wire thats sticking out, as little bite marks. Its not her, because she stopped with wires a long time ago. Its the new one. Now he doesn't mess with much- just the foam mat thats in their room under their litter box, he's taken to biting and spitting out pieces (he's not digesting anything). But, the BIG wire is serious. I put tape over it, to stop the matter (that usually works with the other one), and today he jumped up, and starting biting the tape while i stood there. he didn't want to get in trouble, he really had no idea because i never caught him doing it before. However, wires are NOT ok to chew on, and i have no idea how to stop my cats from chewing all the things they chew. They are not allowed out of their room if we're not home- and when i'm home i have to be careful too.

Nothing i'm doing is working. Does anyone know anything that can stop cats from chewing things? other than taking out their teeth? (that's a joke- ha ha ha.)

Really, i've tried yelling, tape, squirt bottles... everything. Bitter apple- NOTHING works. I'm worried they're going to eat something that will harm them. They have MILLIONS of toys, and they'd rather eat my rug. Really? REALLY? any suggestions?

HELP!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

I have one answer here from a friend:

Well , you will get better advice here than what I am going to say, but I have one kitten that is pretty naughty, and the more room to run and play she has , the less naughty she is. I dont think confinement is helping your case. i would buy a kitty tree or play gym and crinkle tube etc to play in and focus her mind. and try putting hot sauce on the wires. It worked on a neurotic dog that was eating my deck. I just put the typical hot mexican sauce on the wood and she didnt even taste it. she avoided it by smell.

Anyhow, others will give you better advice than mine, but my kitten needed more diversion and then she was fine. I took away the wrong things she wanted to chew (plants and plastic bags) and got these cool nylon cat play structures and crinkle tunnels, and also I bought some toys made out of loofa sponge material and woven straw etc. and wool mice, so she had lots of things to choose from to teeth and play with. hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

One more answer, hope it helps:

... put the words PICA IN CATS or FELINE PICA into Google and read what comes up. It is a condition in the obsessive compulsive family. The cats that have it chew all sorts of things. It's very difficult to cure and I'd say that confining it to the laundry just might make the chewing worse because separation anxiety can prompt a chewing spree.

It's sometimes helpful to give the cat raw chicken necks or wings to chew, daily. Or raw meat in strips for the same purpose. There are a number of other things you can try. Sometimes they grow out of it by about three years of age, sometimes they don't.

You can also make several interactive toys for the cat to use, or something to keep it occupied. One of the "toys" we made up was a flat pizza box with round holes just slightly larger than a paw made in the top. Put several bits of dried food, or some small favourite toys, in the box and encourage the cat to try to get them out via the holes. If they like that sort of thing it keeps them occupied for quite some time.

One of mine suffers from PICA, but the tendency to chew has grown less over the years.

My daughter's Burmese was relinquished by her former owners because she chewed through clothes and plastic and wires and all sorts of other things. My daughter took her and with the help of a knowledgeable vet we have overcome much of her trouble.

Here is one site with information ... it does sound as if this might be a case of PICA ... http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/PICA.htm

Unread 01-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCity View Post
First- my one kitten is 1 1/2 years. She has separation anxiety. We were told by a vet to get her a sibling so she has other things to do (then eat my carpet/destroy things). We did.

We had to lock them both in a room together (she's STILL bad, just not AS bad). They are locked in my laundry room. They have toys and beds and all that good stuff. The washing machine and Dryer actually have their backs all boarded up- because the first cat used to hide behind it and chew the wires. Then she would run up and down the vent from it. So, its all covered in cardboard. She now just chews on the cardboard- its calmed down some, but i don't mind that- she can't hurt that, and it won't hurt her.

Lately, the one wire thats sticking out, as little bite marks. Its not her, because she stopped with wires a long time ago. Its the new one. Now he doesn't mess with much- just the foam mat thats in their room under their litter box, he's taken to biting and spitting out pieces (he's not digesting anything). But, the BIG wire is serious. I put tape over it, to stop the matter (that usually works with the other one), and today he jumped up, and starting biting the tape while i stood there. he didn't want to get in trouble, he really had no idea because i never caught him doing it before. However, wires are NOT ok to chew on, and i have no idea how to stop my cats from chewing all the things they chew. They are not allowed out of their room if we're not home- and when i'm home i have to be careful too.

Nothing i'm doing is working. Does anyone know anything that can stop cats from chewing things? other than taking out their teeth? (that's a joke- ha ha ha.)

Really, i've tried yelling, tape, squirt bottles... everything. Bitter apple- NOTHING works. I'm worried they're going to eat something that will harm them. They have MILLIONS of toys, and they'd rather eat my rug. Really? REALLY? any suggestions?

HELP!
when your cats have been in a big space to play and then locked up it acts as a threat to them ..no way at anytime should cats be confined in a small space ..this will MAKE cats much worse and they will get no better at all ..Like Maya said they need a big scrathing post to climb ..you will be totally surprised how quick they will settle down .they will chew anything in that small space as they are so bored out of their minds ..give them the room and trust them and see how it go ..Chris xxx

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 01-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi, I agree with the others that kitties should not be shut in one small room all day.

Give them some cardboard boxes to chew. Cats love cardboard boxes. I have two who chew them. Makes a mess, but I don't mind cleaning it up. Tear the flaps off so they can get to the edges.

did adding the other kitty help the first kitty with her segmentation anxiety? You can also get a couple feliway plug ins or some rescue remedy to help.

Here is what a favorite box will look like after a week or so.....

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 01-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

And another one:

You could see if there's an alternative to bitter apple. I've heard of using vinegar. Usually they grow out of chewing, if it's not a Pica. I adopted most of my cats at 1 1/2 years old, and they were all chewers at that age.

Raven and Nabu destroyed a carpet in an apartment I had rented with their teeth. They were front declawed by previous owners, so never in a million years did I think they would chew the carpet! They also chewed up a leather chair Mike had, and put teeth marks in some wooden furniture. Stimpy was a chewer when we got him (cords especially) but he grew out of it. Our only casualties were a CAT5 computer cable and a fish tank hood. He was about 1 1/2-2 yrs old when we adopted him. Within a couple years he grew out of it (I can't remember exactly). The kitten we adopted in the fall is in the chewing stage (she's 9 months old this month), but she sticks to her toys or sometimes plastic things I accidentally left down. I make sure all of her toys are chew safe and check them often.

My cats chew cardboard, but not constantly. So most of our cardboard boxes have teeth marks in them, but nothing worse than that.

Pet Stages makes some good chew toys. We have several. Lola especially likes the Chilly Chews and the Dental Health chews. I've also seen chew treats for cats at Petco/Petsmart.

They may also be bored being locked in the laundry room. Laundry rooms are usually small with no windows.

Unread 01-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
KittyCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I have one answer here from a friend:

Well , you will get better advice here than what I am going to say, but I have one kitten that is pretty naughty, and the more room to run and play she has , the less naughty she is. I dont think confinement is helping your case. i would buy a kitty tree or play gym and crinkle tube etc to play in and focus her mind. and try putting hot sauce on the wires. It worked on a neurotic dog that was eating my deck. I just put the typical hot mexican sauce on the wood and she didnt even taste it. she avoided it by smell.

Anyhow, others will give you better advice than mine, but my kitten needed more diversion and then she was fine. I took away the wrong things she wanted to chew (plants and plastic bags) and got these cool nylon cat play structures and crinkle tunnels, and also I bought some toys made out of loofa sponge material and woven straw etc. and wool mice, so she had lots of things to choose from to teeth and play with. hope this helps

Actually- i did that. She had run of the whole house. And everytime i would leave it would get worse. She has serious separation anxiety. The vet suggests crating her! And, a laundry room is better than a crate. She has MILLIONS of toys and crinkle tubes. Seriously. And cubes. And every other freaking cat toy possible. She just can't handle it when i'm not home. The other one is more just, well its there i'm going to chew it. But she will go OUT of her way when i leave to eat things.

Unread 01-06-2009   #8 (permalink)
KittyCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris246 View Post
when your cats have been in a big space to play and then locked up it acts as a threat to them ..no way at anytime should cats be confined in a small space ..this will MAKE cats much worse and they will get no better at all ..Like Maya said they need a big scrathing post to climb ..you will be totally surprised how quick they will settle down .they will chew anything in that small space as they are so bored out of their minds ..give them the room and trust them and see how it go ..Chris xxx
I promise all of you i'm not an idiot. We tried the big space, it made it worse, she ate MORE when i left. The vets suggest crating her. The laundry room is one step better than that. And no, she doesn't settle, she gets WORSE when she's out of the room.

Unread 01-06-2009   #9 (permalink)
KittyCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Hi, I agree with the others that kitties should not be shut in one small room all day.

Give them some cardboard boxes to chew. Cats love cardboard boxes. I have two who chew them. Makes a mess, but I don't mind cleaning it up. Tear the flaps off so they can get to the edges.

did adding the other kitty help the first kitty with her segmentation anxiety? You can also get a couple feliway plug ins or some rescue remedy to help.

Here is what a favorite box will look like after a week or so.....
Cats digesting things like that aren't really good. If its too big it can get stuck. I"ve seen it happen. And it was actually the vets idea to shut her up. When she was free- she was a million times worse.

Unread 01-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
KittyCity

I've tried that stuff. They have so many toys in that room it's not funny. And, they just keep chew chew chewing. But the new one learns faster. If i tell him not to do something- he usually doesn't do it again. She's SO bad, to get my attention- she will walk in front of me, watch me, swish her tail, and bite whatever it is she's not supposed to bite. I actually have to watch her constantly. She seems the most peaceful, when i'm in the same room with her and she's napping happily nearby. But if i've worked longer than normal, she's a terror. She's even worse.

Tags
advice , another cat , anxiety , apartment , baby , beds , bite , biting , box , burmese , carpet , cat , cats , chewing , cleaning , color , computer , confined , cool , disoriented , dog , dry , eating , fever , free , funny , hey , hiding , home , house , hurt , joke , kitten , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , love , mat , mess , play , problems , raw , rescue , senior , separation , small , smart , smell , suggestions , toys , vet , weaned

Sponsored Cat Links