It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

pink29 is on a distinguished road
Default problem again!

hi to all its me again as u probly all know i have a little boy thats 12 yrs old, and recent little girl whos 5 mths had her for about think a month, and my older cat is not amused at all he is a grumpy old man and very this is my house and no one is allowed in it!he hisses a the kitten all the time when he is not sleeping and sometimes lashes out at him to tell my kitten to go away but the little one of course being a kitten follows him everwhere when he is allowed. has anyone had an experiance like this? and has it got better? i dont think my boy would hurt him as when he lashes out i remove the kitten.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Hi Pink29....... Sometimes a cat will take right to a new kitten and sometimes it likes to show its status in the household as the alpha. You just need to be patient and let nature take its course. My Jasmine couldn't stand Oscar and Maddie when we brought them home but that was her personality. She was a beautiful longhair tabby with a tail you wouln't beleive and I think she was a bit of a diva. But when we brought Zipper into the fold Oscar especially took right to her. Jasmine hadat that time been gone for a few months. Maddie was okay as well but Zipper and Oscar were buddies from the start. Just show the older one some extra tlc and keep perservering. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj29 View Post
Hi Pink29....... Sometimes a cat will take right to a new kitten and sometimes it likes to show its status in the household as the alpha. You just need to be patient and let nature take its course. My Jasmine couldn't stand Oscar and Maddie when we brought them home but that was her personality. She was a beautiful longhair tabby with a tail you wouln't beleive and I think she was a bit of a diva. But when we brought Zipper into the fold Oscar especially took right to her. Jasmine hadat that time been gone for a few months. Maddie was okay as well but Zipper and Oscar were buddies from the start. Just show the older one some extra tlc and keep perservering. Good luck.
oopps just done a quote oh well... thankyou for your reply. think my older cat might be older than i think he sleeps most of the time and when hes awake he just isnt inpressed at all with the new kitten its taking longer than i thought probly cant put a time on these things but away. hes ok with me but hisses at my kids and my partner he seems very upset and i dont like to see him like that i feel sorry for him... but suppose hes going to have to get used to it poor little thing
Unread 01-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Heidi Oscar who was 15 this past year got sick the beginning of Nov. Now when I say he and Zipper were bud's I mean they weren't too far from the other and would sleep together play together and usually eat together. When Oscar started his downward spiral Zipper started hissing at him and towards the end she started to growl at him as well. Now I know they have a hieghtened sense of smell so she could smell the sickness coming from him and was uncomfortable with it. Your little man is showing his displeasure at this new perceived threat to his comfort. He will get over himself soon I'm sure. He probably dosn't even mean to being so cranky but only knows that kind of reaction. Lets face it they are just like kids.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 01-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

yes mj29 to true they are thanks
Unread 01-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Some cats take longer than others to make adjustments. A month is not very long, especially for an older cat who is used to being an Only.

Things you can do:

rub a towel on older kitty then on kitten to blend their scents. Put the towel under older kitty's food, this will help him associate kitten's smell both with himself and with something good (food)

Smell is everything to a cat.

Some people swear by the vanilla trick. Place a drop of vanilla (real cooking vanilla not perfume) on the nose and root of tail of each cat, the theory is this levels the playing field, they smell the same. I have not tried this myself.

Does older kitty play at all anymore? For younger cats integrating I always recommend getting down on the floor and playing with both, on on each side of you. Often the cats get so into the Game that they forget to be enemies for a while.

I recommend you get a feliway plug in and/or rescue remedy. both are very good products and work. I have used both.

Comfort Zone® with Feliway® for Cats

Rescue&reg Remedy - Official Site

They can be found in most pet supply stores, or your vet or on line. Amazon.com has the best prices on the feliway plug ins.

I think things will eventually work themselves out though I know you would like it to be sooner than later!

Oh, I almost forgot. Do you have enough litter boxes? Older kitty may not like sharing a box with the young upstart, so have at least two, better three litter boxes, with one in a separate place from the other two.

Same with dishes, make sure older boy has his own dishes, even put down an extra water bowl.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-11-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Tags
art , beautiful , boy , cat , cats , food , found , game , girl , growl , hey , hissing , home , house , hurt , integrating , kitten , kitty , litter , litter boxes , new kitten , nose , personality , play , playing , problem , rescue , sick , sickness , sleep , sleeping , smell , tabby , uncomfortable , upset , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links