It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
KittyCity

Default Attacked

We've recently purchased a puppy from a breeder. The dog is completely calm and laid back. Doesn't bark, just wants to be on your lap being petted.

I took him to meet my sweet kitties yesterday. Hansel (the newest one) is even more laid back than any animal you've ever met. He loves everything and everyone. Tesla (my oldest cat) is scared of everything, but easy to please.

I let them out of their room. Doors were open to get rid of that trapped feeling. the puppy was on his leash. He sat and stared at them. Thats it. Watched. They floofed up, hissed- you know, the normal. I wasn't worried because tes did that to hans when we first got him too.

I petted him and her and said you guys are fine, its ok. Next thing i know, hans is getting louder and scarier looking. Tes comes running, jumps in front of hans, puts her paws in the air and lunges at the puppy. I push him out the door- and next thing i know, my two babies, my beautiful babies are on me attacking me. They weren't my cats anymore.

Their faces changed, their eyes, their behavior, their movements. I tried to tell them no no no you're ok its ok- to calm them down. She latched onto my hand chewing me viciously, and hans was on my leg chewing. I was trying to pull them off, but couldn't free myself. I was crying, bleeding everywhere, begging them to stop but they were set on killing me. Jumping at me - i don't know how they didn't get me, but somehow i managed.

I grabbed them around the neck and yanked them off- but i didn't hurt them i promise- it was so loose around them that hans was able to sink his teeth into the flesh of my left hand. he dug in really really good.

I took them, puppy still watching scared to death, into the bathroom where i opened the tub door, put them in and closed it and ran off to see if the pup was ok.

He's fine- not touched once, and it was my blood all over everything- (i'd rather have that).

I had to go to the urgent care- and get cleaned up, tetanus, and all of that. My left hand from hans almost needed stitches. My right hand i had managed to put ice on previously, and it had been a hematoma. My leg wasn't too bad because of the jeans he was chewing through. I was somewhat protected.

My vet says i need to loose them now, because once a cat does that, it won't stop. And they shouldn't have attacked me because the dog was out of the room- what they did was feral.

Tes is still slightly off this morning.

They're not my cats anymore... they've turned into wild animals. And because of this- they are now being quarantined in that room. and i'm now scared to death of my own babies.

i'm scared.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry this has happened, scary indeed!

I do not agree with your vet. Your cats were upset, perhaps have had bad experiences with dogs. Attacking you like that is caused by displaced agression and is not necessarily permanent.

I recommend Feliway plug-in in the room they are quarrrantined in. I know your vet does not believe in the powers of Feliway. I do, however, and know it works. Rescue Remedy in their water bowl and/or food dishes, and rubbed on their little faces.

My advice is to start introductions again, very slowly, by rubbing a towel on cats, then puppy, then putting towel in room with cats, to help blend scents. This can be done daily. Scent is everything to a cat. They can be smelling the puppy smells while under the influence of feliway and RR.

Next time a face to face intro is attempted have everyone in crates, so everyone feels (and is) safe. I suggest one cat at a time rather than both at once, because cats will feed of one another's stress and emotions.

Sorry you had to have such a bad experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-11-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

i'm sorry this happened to you. very strange behaviour...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Wow that must have been so tramatic in every sense. I agree with Acerlt that they got over stimulated in the situation. When my Maddie was alive she Oscar and Zipper would sit on the sill of our diningroom if we had the window open. Our nieghbour cat would come underneath the window to bug them and Oscar and Zipper would hiss and growl at this cat outside and Maddie would attack Oscar and Zipper. You know smacking them about the head and such. I would have to close the window scoot them off the sill and put Maddie somewhere away from the other two until she calmed down. If I had known about those products that Acerlt talks about i would have used them. Cats are all about the smell and the new smell sparked this reaction and they got overexcited. you happened to be the one they took out their aggression on. Did they settle down with each other or are they a little off with each other as well? You know a dog would have tryed for your throat eh?

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
aggression , agression , animal , attack , attacking , babies , beautiful , behavior , behaviour , breeder , calm , cat , cats , changed , chewing , crying , dog , dogs , eyes , feral , free , groom , growl , hey , hiss , hurt , jumping , kitties , morning , pet , puppy , scared , smell , stitches , stop , stress , urgent , vet , wild , window

Sponsored Cat Links