It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
sapp_luvs_cats

Lightbulb My kitten has a biting problem

okay my kitten misty russian blue is always biting me and scratching even when I'm sleeping I've tried sauces I got it on my kitten so it smelt like bbq sauce hehe so then I rubbed in kitten spray and brushed and fed her she still bites me any ideas.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Your kitten is treating you like a litter mate. You must teach her that you are mother, not sibling.

her biting and scratching is just play but needs to be corrected now.

How a mother cat disciplines her baby when the kitten gets too rambunctious is to cuff or bite the kit, then turn her back, or get up and walk away ignoring the kitten. Kitten soon learns that biting mama gets her ignored

As a hoomin mama of course you can't bite or cuff.

first never ever use hand or other body part to play with kitten. Always use a toy of some sort, stuffed animal, string on a stick, even a rolled up or crumpled piece of paper.

Next, when kitten bites you, say Ouch! or No! or even a quick Hiss! with the kitten's name. Say it sharply but not loudly. (don't yell) "No! Kitten!" then remove yourself, either by turning your back or getting up. don't attempt to push kitten away she'll just take that as play.

Ignore for a few minutes (resist urge to peek and see how she's taking it) then resume activity, but when she bites again repeat the no! and ignore. After three tries, get up and leave the room.

Ignoring her even when she follows you. Be absolutely consistent with this. She'll learn after a while, it may take more than a few days or weeks.

After a few times you might be able to tell when she is becoming over stimulated and about to bite or scratch. Stop the activity before she gets to that point once you start noticing her signals. This helps by giving her some successes.

things to watch for could be ears going back, tail lashing harder, watch her eyes, they may shift and focus on some delectable part of you, like a forearm or hand....

After this training has been going on for awhile you may notice her catching herself before going to bite, that is a time for lavish praise, tell her how clever and smart and wonderful and purrfect she is for not biting and give her a special treat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

totally agree with acerlt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-14-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

Good suggestion acerlt...
My baby sometimes do that to me too...
Now I know what to do...
Thanks, anyway....

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 01-14-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

yes, mine also but we must teach them to stop biting.

Unread 02-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road

I tried taking your advice and i must say it really is good. Unfortunately my 3 month old kitten is still biting and scratching me, and it just seems to get worse..i even created a little "time out" place for her and i keep her there for 30 seconds and the longest shes been there is 1 minute..once she comes out she continues to be vicious. She even started attacking my face! and the more i ignore her the more aggressive she is when she sees me. I thought about her not liking me, but shes that way with everyone even my little 7 year old nephew .
I've had this kitten for 2 months, shes rarely alone, i take care of her..and whats confusing me is that she wasn't like this before. my mother spoke to me about de-clawing her but i decided not to, its inhumane and extremely unnatural! is there anything else i can do?
Unread 02-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Hi & welcome!

When he will grow & you will be able to spay/neuter him, he will be more quiet, you'll see.
In the meantime you need to teach him YOU are the boss...

Good luck,

Unread 02-06-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road

that seems to be the harder part being boss seems to be her natural view )
but how old does a kitten need to be in order to be spayed/neutered?
Unread 02-06-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Red face

5 months old.

Unread 02-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

My new stud boy started biting and scraching me ..now every time he goes to bite i give him a dog chew bone ..that stops him .xxx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blaize%20and%20co%20087-horz[1].jpg (75.3 KB, 5 views)

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize

Tags
age , aggressive , animal , antibiotic , attacking , baby , bite , bites , biting , boy , care , cat , catching , cats , chewing , cute , dog , dogs , eating , eyes , foster , found , fun , funny , fur , grooming , happy , hey , kitten , kitten food , love , morning , neuter , pet , play , problem , raw , scratching , sleeping , smart , spay , spay/neuter , stop , vet , wash , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links