It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
anastacia

Question Problem with my cat

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my cat and honestly don't know how to fix it. She is 13 years old, has been spayed and is in good health according to my vet. The problem is that she doesn't use the litter box everytime when she poops. It's getting to be a mess! She uses the box to urinate but only about 20% of the time to poop. All the other times she poops outside the box on the carpet. I have to clean the carpet everyday with my bissell. We have four other cats that do not get along with her; she doesn't like any of them. She has her own room because of this. She has her own litter box, her own food and bed and her own heater. We take her out every day and she hangs with me and my hubby for a few hours while the other cats are in our finished basement. She used to be OK. We lived in an apartment that had a complete office detached from it that she lived in. It was two rooms and we never had a problem with her defecating outside her box; this has only been since we've moved. I need some advice on what to do to fix this problem. I'm tired of picking up poop everyday and cleaning her room. Her litter box is completely cleaned out every week and replaced with fresh litter; she is the only one who uses the box.

Help please.

Anastacia

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-12-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! I couldn't tell by your post if you clean her box every day. Pee and poop should be scooped daily.

I have a couple of ideas. One is very simple, she may need two boxes. Some cats prefer to pee in one and poop in another, this may solve her problem.

However, she may also be having trouble pooping and blaming the litter box. If she is having constipation, she will blame the box, and poop outside of it.

If she is having arthritis, it may hurt her to squat and hold the position to poop. Again, she will blame the box and not use it. Arthritis pain can lead to chronic constipation.

It sounds like you keep good track, but make sure she is pooping every day, and that the stools are not unusually large. chronic constipation can cause megacolon, which can be a life threatening condition. The only cure for megacolon is surgery. Otherwise a cat has to be on medicines the remainder of her life, and the medicines have to be increased periodically.

I have a kitty with megacolon, she takes "poop medicines" six times a day, and is at the maximum dose for each kind.

Signs of constipation can include: pooping outside the box, straining to poop, sitting in the litter box for long periods, vomiting while trying to poop, vomitting just after pooping.

Hopefully your kitty just needs an extra litter box.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-13-2009   #3 (permalink)
anastacia

Thank you for replying! I bought another litter box; one with a lid on it. I freshened up her room and put the new box in with new litter the other night. I am happy to report that she has not pooped outside the box since putting the new one in!

Thank you so much for you suggestions.

Tags
advice , apartment , bissell , box , carpet , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , constipation , food , happy , health , hurt , kitty , litter , litter box , mess , night , pee , poop , problem , spayed , suggestions , surgery , vet , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links