It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
JAN7

Default Will my old cat harm the new kitten?? Please help

We have an older (5years old) male cat and recently our son brought a new female kitten (aprox. 1.5 months old) home, that someone found abandoned on the golf course. We have introduced her slowly to the male cat and he seems to have accepted her. He licks and clean her at times when she allows it, but he sometimes starts palying with her - pins her down and starts biting her belly area (or so it appears to us). She normally gives a yelp and when we shout at the big cat he lets her go. Is he playing with her - or will he harm her and should we allow this to continue?

Please advise us as we are very nervous at this behaviour.

Last edited by JAN7; 01-22-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome! Thank you for rescuing the baby!

It sounds to me as though they are playing, but you are right to supervise and stop anything that you perceive to be too rough. As time goes on she will toughen up, and he may learn to be more gentle. Your male is neutered?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
JAN7

Yes -the male is neutered -Thank you for your comments - We are just worried what will happen when they are not supervised

Last edited by JAN7; 01-22-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Unread 01-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Hello, and welcome! Thank you for rescuing the baby!

It sounds to me as though they are playing, but you are right to supervise and stop anything that you perceive to be too rough. As time goes on she will toughen up, and he may learn to be more gentle. Your male is neutered?
Your boy is probaly Playing but also letting her know he is boss .this sometimes happen when you bring a younger kitten in ...Chris xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 01-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome,

What's your name & your kits'?

Maybe he's playing, maybe not. You must put an eye & when you're out simply put the kitten in a closed room until your return, just in case...

Hope to see their pics soon!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
JAN7

Thank you - we are doing just that - keeping an eye on them as much as possible. We are very fortunate to have a full time house keeper that also loves cats, and she helps to keep an eye on them. The unfortunate part is that the older male cat plays rough all the time and you cannot leave them alone for one minute. The house and the garden is big and it is not a problem to seperate them, but then they call for each other constantly.

I have posted photos of them on my album - and their names are Ebony and Saffron(kitten).

Regards

Jan & Susan

Unread 01-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Oh, they are gorgeous & the kitten so cute, congrats!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
baby , behaviour , belly , biting , boy , cat , cats , clean , cute , eye , female , found , hey , home , house , kitten , male , nervous , new kitten , photos , playing , problem , stop

Sponsored Cat Links