It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
belladonna

Default Incredible Kitten Behaviour!

My six month old kitten Scarlett, is doing something quite extraordinary! I've never heard of a cat doing this before. Lately, when she's feeding, instead of putting her head into the bowl and eating that way... she will hook her claw into a piece of kitten food, and then EAT OFF HER PAW, like a human!!!!

I've also noticed that she intensely watches me and my partner eat - could she have taught herself to eat like we do, and/or if she's copying us, aside from adorably cute...isn't that, like, super intelligent for a cat?! have your cats ever done anything similar?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Scarlett is indeed a clever kitty and copying you. Cats are the original copycats after all!

I have cats who eat funny too. One who, like your Scarlett, prefers to eat from her paws. Another who prefers to eat off the floor, tips her dish to spill the food, or scoops it onto the floor before eating. Another who circles his dish suspicioulsy a few times before he will touch the food.

Since Scarlett watches you so intently and learns from your actions, maybe she can learn to use the toilet, too! I know a cat (not mine) who watched his human use the toilet, and started using it himself. My friend doesn't even keep a litter box anymore! The one drawback was once when he had to stay at the vet overniight and she forgot to tell them he doen't use a litter box, so he never went otty the whole time he was at the vet.

OTOH, I think I prefer my litter box using kitties, becuas it is easier to keep track of who does what when.

Cats are never ending entertainment, that's for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
belladonna

hi acerit - thanks for your reply.

That is fascinating to learn that your cats also do similar things! I can't believe that they could be so intelligent. Both my kittens (Hunter boy and Scarlett Lady) have shown an interest in the toilet bowl, and always try to get in when im in there, or having a shower etc. (hunter enjoys being sprayed with water and they are both quite happy to sit in a wet sink with the tap running - i always know if theyve been in there judging by a wet tail) Infact they love water, especially Hunter. He will sit outside the shower and miaow....quite bizarre...they have also worked out that they too, can wash their paws in the sink like i do, and other basin activities include sitting/sleeping in it, trying to 'bite' droplets of water. But - the best - Scarlett has discovered that by holding her paw under the running water as i do, that the water will change direction (she did this yesterday, and stared intently at the water spraying out sideways, before moving her paw again to change the direction!)

As you say, they really are copycats! Do yours like or show interest in water based activities?

Unread 01-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi,I'm Cheyl,welcome.A few of my cats have done this before.I have 7 at the mo.I have also noticed my oldest,Cat(12) putting his paw in the dish and taking food,when one of the others is eating out of the dish.He also loves being out in the rain,if it's fine drizzle,he will sit out on the wall and watch the day go by.And my youngest Siamese mix kits(8mths)are fascinated by water,there's a pic in my gallery of them in the bath watching water going down the plug.xxxxx
Unread 01-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

My Dino also is fascinated by water. You can hardly wash anything at the sink without him being there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
hi acerit - thanks for your reply.

That is fascinating to learn that your cats also do similar things! I can't believe that they could be so intelligent. Both my kittens (Hunter boy and Scarlett Lady) have shown an interest in the toilet bowl, and always try to get in when im in there, or having a shower etc. (hunter enjoys being sprayed with water and they are both quite happy to sit in a wet sink with the tap running - i always know if theyve been in there judging by a wet tail) Infact they love water, especially Hunter. He will sit outside the shower and miaow....quite bizarre...they have also worked out that they too, can wash their paws in the sink like i do, and other basin activities include sitting/sleeping in it, trying to 'bite' droplets of water. But - the best - Scarlett has discovered that by holding her paw under the running water as i do, that the water will change direction (she did this yesterday, and stared intently at the water spraying out sideways, before moving her paw again to change the direction!)

As you say, they really are copycats! Do yours like or show interest in water based activities?
I love the water stories! I have a couple who have Water interests, though none so devoted as your Scarlett. One, Ootay, who drinks out of the sink only, she uses her water bowl to play in. puts both paws in and Splash splash splash splash! until it is all over the floor and bowl is empty.

I have a few pics of that but not on my new computer

Another, when she first came thought it was fun to drag and tip the water bowls so I had to use heavy Pyrex baking pans instead. Both of those eventually got broken because same cat (Mazy) performed one too many gravity experiments and things dropped into the pans and broke them.

She doesn't bother much with the current bowls thank goodness. She is Shower Supervisor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
Hi,I'm Cheyl,welcome.A few of my cats have done this before.I have 7 at the mo.I have also noticed my oldest,Cat(12) putting his paw in the dish and taking food,when one of the others is eating out of the dish.He also loves being out in the rain,if it's fine drizzle,he will sit out on the wall and watch the day go by.And my youngest Siamese mix kits(8mths)are fascinated by water,there's a pic in my gallery of them in the bath watching water going down the plug.xxxxx
I have a couple cats who will attempt that, (stick paw under other, eating, cat's nose and steal food out of dish) but they are on special diets so I am the dreaded Cat Food Police.

When Mazy cat was younger she used to pull the whole dish away from Tolly. He would simply scoot up and continue to eat, and she would keep pulling the dish away from him. I wish I'd had a way to take video then, as they don't do that anymore. I used to howl with laughter over it.

Last edited by acerlt; 01-23-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Unread 01-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Oh I know what you mean,Bolan+Toto are fond of moving each others dishes,they're so funny to watch our feline friends aren't they?xxxxx
Unread 01-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS I just tried to post a link with video of Mazy scooping her snack out of the dish and eating it that way, but received one of those annoying messages about needed it approved by a moderator. I've received those notices before and the post disappears forever, it's very annoying.

you can view it by going to youtube and searchng for 104hiker, that's me and you will see the short video of Mazy's eating habits. There are a few others there too, including one of ootay drinking from the faucet, jennie stealing a cracker and Tolly stealing an angel from the christmas tree.

Some are kind of dark, I am novice to the art of video making.

please read this first
Unread 01-23-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

See them all, funny! Your Tolly is fab, love red kits!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-24-2009   #10 (permalink)
roxybear214

My Roxy LOVES water! She used to tip her water dish over and spill the water all over my hard wood floors then use the bowl to play hockey with her sister!! I had to switch the water dish to a heaver one because of the mess! She also loves to play in the sink and drink from the tap when I am trying to use the sink! Also, whenever we turn the shower on she looks at us and then turns and gets in, then when she notices we are about to get in she leaves and waits in the sink!! It's adorable! However, we tried to give her a bath once... and she was not a fan.

Tags
adorable , art , bath , behaviour , bite , box , boy , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , christmas , cool , cute , eating , food , friends , fun , funny , happy , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , love , mess , moving , nose , paw , play , search , siamese , sleeping , stealing , stories , video , wash , water , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links