It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Mfsalsa

Default Unwanted Urination

My friend's cat urinates all over her apartment. I've suggested Nature's Miracle, which helped the smell for a short while. It came back or Sam pee'd again. Sam has been to the vet and all is OK physically. Any suggestions for the smell and for getting Sam to stop peeing in places other than her litter box.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome. First some questions;

How old is Sam?

How long has this been going on?

Did the vet do a urine culture? Take a urine sample (they get it right from the bladder nowadays) and check it for both bacteria and crystals? If this has not been done, it needs to be. It is very possible she has some underlying physical problem going on.

Did the vet do blood work? Sam could possibly have a problem with her kidneys.

Check Sam's environment. Is there something that could be bothering her?

A strange cat that comes to the windows and teases her?

Any change in the household such as new person, or a person gone, new pet, or a pet gone?

New cleaners, perfume, even your friend's lotion can have an affect on Sam. Have your friend think about if there have been any changes.

Has your friend made any changes in the litter? Cats are particular and do not like highly scented litters.

Does your friend keep the litter boxes clean? Cats do not like dirty boxes and will not use them.

Cats often like a choice of box, even one to pee in and one to poop in. Sam should have access to at least two litter boxes, and they should be scooped out daily, and dumped and scrubbed weekly. Boxes should be in a quiet low traffic area. Cats like privacy, too.

Retraining may have to be done.

This involves keeping kitty enclosed in a small space (such as a bathroom) with just her litter boxes, food water and toys for two weeks.

food dishes should be placed as far from litter boxes as possible.

Cats are fastidious, and do not like to eat or sit or sleep where they pee. Being in such a small space will force her to use the litter box.

Friend should visit Sam often, and if Sam happens to use the litter box while friend is there, Sam should be praised and made much of. Keep the boxes clean.

While Sam is being retrained, get a black light and go around with the nature's miracle and remove all traces of urine. A black light will show up the spots. Because if she smells her own pee, she may think it's okay to go there again. And even if you can't smell it, if it's there still, she will smell it.

One last thing, I hope your friend is not yelling at Sam when she catches her peeing. yelling won't do any good, it will only teach Sam that when she pees her person yells, so she better not pee.

I hope you find this helpful

Oh, one more thing. Get a feliway plug in, to keep in the small rooom with kitty during retraining, then keep it going after retraining is over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
apartment , black , bladder , box , cat , cats , environment , food , hey , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , pee , peeing , person , pet , poop , problem , sleep , small , smell , stop , suggestions , toys , urine , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links