It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-31-2009   #1 (permalink)
fredntrouble

Cool LitterBox Mystery

Isn't it instinct for a cat to cover his business after he is finished?? My question comes from the fact that Frank doesn't seem to cover and the oder just streams through my entire apartment forcing me to drop what I'm doing and remove the cover of the box and cover his business which in turn does not appeal to me at all. Is there something that I can do to get him to cover it. I've had other cats in the past and never had this problem. My other guy Fred covers, what would be Franks problem??? Thanks in advance....Paulette

Last edited by fredntrouble; 01-31-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-31-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Paulette, some cats don't cover to show "dominance". Frank may be leaving his poop uncovered to tell Fred that he is Top Cat.

How many litter boxes do you have? The rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one. Adding a litter box or two may help with this problem.

Cats like a choice of where to do their business. Many cats will pee in one and poop in the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS having an uncovered box may also help. Perhaps he will feel more compelled to bury in an open box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 01-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Wink

Oh don't worry Paulette, not all my kits cover their business

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

missprettyeyes is on a distinguished road

A couple of my cats don't cover thiers either....They can't be bothered with that!!when Meowmy will do it for them
Unread 02-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

I have one girl who never covers her poo ...one of the other girls do it for her ,the thing i can't understand is she will also poo next to the litter tray ..I have 5 girls in the main house and 9 litter trays scattered about .she is 6 months old and started this a month ago ,never had this happen before .chris xx

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 02-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Scousemouse

I have 2 kittens who are about 8 months old now, both girls. Tilly has always covered her poop, but Milly never has, hasn't even tried. As one of the other replies stated , a dominant cat won't hide their poop, they want to let all the other cats know that they are around.

Unread 02-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

What im worried about is if this dont stop with her pooing outside the litter tray she could pass this habit on to her kittens ..it put me off having her as a breeding Queen ..she is a beautiful smoke Tortie .xxx

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 02-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris246 View Post
What im worried about is if this dont stop with her pooing outside the litter tray she could pass this habit on to her kittens ..it put me off having her as a breeding Queen ..she is a beautiful smoke Tortie .xxx
Chris, perhaps your kitten is having a problem with constipation. Cats will blame the litter box for any pain or discomfort, and stop using it.

Some signs of constipation can include (as mentioned) avoiding the litter box, or sitting for long times in the box, or going from box to box, straining, vomiting while pooping or after pooping, pooping hard small stools, or excessively large stools.

If she does turn out to have a problem with constipation, I can understand why you wouldn't want to breed her. Constipation can be a very serious problem, one you certainly don't want to pass down to future generations!.

Chronic constipation can lead to megacolon. Megacolon is curable only by surgery. The only other alternative is a life time of "poop medicines" which have to be increased over time as the body adjusts to them.

I have a cat with megacolon, by the time she was diagnosed it was much too late for such invasive surgery for her. (too old, too many other health problems) She takes three different poop medicines for a total of six times a day. she is at the maximum dose for all of the meds, and still sometimes has trouble.
Unread 02-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

My cat don't cover his business too...
But I don't bother because my bestfriend's cat...
Don't cover his poop too...
Maybe they have some reason of doing that...
As long as my baby don't scratched my furniture...
I think I don't have problem on him...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

Tags
antibiotics , apartment , babies , baby , beautiful , box , breed , breeding , business , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , cold , constipation , cut , diarrhea , dry , fish , girl , great , health , hey , house , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , litterbox , nice , oops , pee , poo , poop , problem , problems , queen , question , small , stop , surgery , vet , vomiting , worry

Sponsored Cat Links