It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Default How to keep my kittens from destroying my faux leather couch

Hi..I just need some help re saving my couch..My kittens don't really use them as scratching posts (they already have two that they love using)..The problem is actually when:

1. They're roughhousing with each other..Sometimes they use their claws and when they miss, they end up clutching at the leather..Thus, leaving some marks on it..

2. When they try to jump from the floor so as to get to me..Being kittens, they still miss..And have to use their claws to keep from falling..

3. Very rarely, they will actually scratch on it..This only happens when they wake up and they find me sitting on the couch..They'll both join me..Fall asleep..And then wake up and tries to scratch..

How do I stop this from happening..?..I didn't want to try using citrus scents because:

1. The couches are beside the litter box..I don't want them to be so overpowered by the scent that they refuse to use it..

2. I like it when they curl up beside me on the couch..I just want them to stop damaging it....Is that at all possible..?..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
fredntrouble

Try keeping your kittens claws clipped. Have you every clipped cat claws?? It's very easy and if you start while they are kittens as time goes by they will get use to it and then it will be a piece of cake. They are kittens and full of energy and are still learning their judgement jumps. With time the clasping of the material on your couch will get less and less be patient. Good luck!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

You can also buy a cat tree. There are many sizes & shapes; my kits love them (we have many) I use them a lot. They also can climb & sleep there if they want to.
The clipped claws are important also & your patience primordial.

There is also an invisible fence but personally I don't like the idea:

Cat Fences by PetSafe. Try the wireless Cat Fence

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Oh okay..I haven't actually tried trimming their nails myself..
I have claw-phobia, I think..
But I do bring them to the vet every week or every other week to have their nails trimmed..
But sometimes, I still hear their claws just digging in the leather..
I've put some blankets on the couches but they're so thin that they're practically useless..Maybe I need slipcovers with extra padding..?..

I'll check out the cat tree, thanks..

Unread 02-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

Im a breeder of Maine coons and I have a large corner real leather sofa ..you can imagine what it is like when i have several kittens running around ,I have big thick throws that cover the sofa and that saves the cats claws messing it up ..I only trim my cats claws once a month as that is all they need to be done .We have 3 fat boy scrathers that they use and they are brilliant for the cats claws .

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 02-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I was going to suggest nail trimming too, but see that's already being done. Guess just covering it with something heavy until they grow up a little. As they get older they will learn to keep their claws sheathed when playing with eachother.

I guess Angel is feeling lots better???!!!!

<in edit> I almost forgot! congratulations on teaching Angel and Wagner to use their own furniture to scratch!

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-02-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: almost forgot!
Unread 02-02-2009   #7 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Angel is feeling much better, yes..!..
So this thing with the claws is just a baby thing..?..
I thought they'll do it forever..lol..

Unread 02-02-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjcantos1818 View Post
Well they will always want to scratch on things, true, but you did say that isn't the problem, right, it's when they play?

As they get older they will learn to keep their claws in when playing. They will teach each other, because if one gets hurt by a claw, the other will let him know!

You can help too, by not letting them scratch you when you play with them, either. If one scratches you during play You say a sharp Ouch! or hiss, say No, Wagner! and turn your back and ignore him for a few minutes.

If he keeps it up with the claws, continue the ouch, turn your back and ignore twice more, then get up and leave. (never play with them with your hands, always use a toy)

Mama cat teaches her kittens to behave with the ignoring technique. She also bites them or cuffs them when they get fresh, but of course you can't do that, but the OUCH! (just sharpish, not roaring loud) and ignore will let the kitten know he's hurt you, and he will learn to be more careful, eventually.

Be consistent!

Another alternative would be to not let them play Tumble together on the couch. Teach them that the couch is for lounging and napping and the floor is for Tussling and Tumbling!

I'm so glad Angel is back to normal! Good job taking care of him!
Unread 02-03-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjcantos1818 View Post
Oh, good news Angel is feeling better!

I'm afraid they will do it forever, so you must be ready...

Good luck,

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Well they will always want to scratch on things, true, but you did say that isn't the problem, right, it's when they play?
Yes, that's correct..
So when they play on the couch, is it advisable to snatch them both and place them on a more appropriate place?
I have a feeling I'll get scratched a bit..
Thanks..

Tags
art , baby , bites , box , boy , breeder , cat , cats , claws , discount , fur , furniture , hey , hiss , hurt , kittens , litter , litter box , love , nails , pet , play , playing , problem , scratch , scratching , sleep , stop , vet , wake

Sponsored Cat Links