It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
LadyLibrarian

Exclamation Cat Crazies So Early

Hi all. I a new cat owner; I adopted a wonderful year old, white male cat, Grits, about 3 weeks ago. He is super sweet and very affectionate. However, lately the past couple of mornings, he has been getting up around 6 and meowing LOUDLY and running around the apartment. This is rather new behavior. He would never really sleep with me at night..he prefered the couch...and would sleep until I got up. Or if he did get up, I could ignore him for a few minutes and he would go back to sleep.

Now, I am really worried about him (and he is driving me bonkers). I thought it may be something physical, but he seems fine, is eating, peeing, and pooping like before. I have no idea but his meowing is so plantive.....he kills me.

He also does the "wake up and play with me" bite.

I am a grad student and need my sleep (the little I get desperately)

HELP PLEASE!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Forgive me, but I laughed all the way through your post. All I could think of was --and this behavior is strange how? I have been owned by more than a dozen cats in my life, and I still can find no rhyme nor reason to their behavior.

Cats are wonderful, mystical creatures. The 6am meowing may be a phase, it may be that we have decided we want to eat at 6am, it could be just a song to the morning. It is starting to get light earlier now, so the circadian rythym may be adjusting to the longer days.

"Wake up bites". . .um, yep-know exactly what you mean. Short of closing the bedroom door, (and then you will be subject to the loudish meows from the other side), sleep will be lost.

You've only had him 3 weeks, he's still coming into his own. I'm sure there will be much compromise in your future. The the day will come - the meeting of the minds so to speak. Until then, enjoy the ride.

Best of Luck - keep us posted.

And the Bridge Kids...♥♥♥Abbey, TC, Burger, Bella, Cali, Sarah, Hannah, DynahKathryn, Baybee and Puppy♥♥♥
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

I also laughed... it sounds so familiar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Default RE: Cat Crazy's

Hi, I'm new to this forum but a veteran with cats. Having been their slave for all of my 46 years. I'm sure that your new kitty is just now starting to feel more comfortable in his environment so his personality is starting to show. I have a very vocal siamese who does the same thing except at about 4-4:30 in the a.m. and continues until I get up at 6:15. I have several things I do. First is put him in the bathroom with a towel over the crack of the door to shut out his horrible yowling. Then I go into my room and close that door. It usually drowns out most of the noise and after a while he gives up and quiets down. On the weekends I utilize earplugs. The noise is his way of trying to impose his will on me aka: I want outside!!! Never give in cause then they'll never shut up!

God love our furry critters!

DWMeowMix

Last edited by DWMeowMix; 02-12-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Unread 02-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree that he's starting to feel at home so his personality is showing.

Be sure to give him a vigorous interactive play time before you go to bed at night. Interactive play means you get down on the floor and play with him for a half hour at least, every night.

The more you play with him the more you will learn what Games he likes. Mix them up, different Games on different nights, so he doens't get bored.

If you begin these Games at around the same time every night he will eventually begin to expect this event. This will help him feel more secure and your bond with him will grow and strengthen.

These play sessions will be good for you too, because you will find many of his antics make you laugh.

If you want ideas on Games I will be happy to provide them!

Eventually, as he gets a little older, that kitten energy will slow down a bit, and he will be more likely to curl up and sleep with you most of the night.

One caution. do not get into the habit of feeding him first thing after you get up in the morning. This teaches him that you getting out of bed means Meal Time and he will attempt to get you up much earlier than you want to be up. Get up, put on your coffee, take a shower, whatever, THEN feed him.

I am assuming Grit is neutered, but if he isn't, that should be done right away.

do please stick around and tell us more!

please read this first
Unread 02-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Red face

I wish it was that easy for me! Waco's 10 and doesn't really "play" anymore. If I toss a mousie or wiggle a feather at him he just looks at me like I've lost my mind! Idiot cat. Sometimes I'll use Vine Esssense on him and that will calm him down a bit but it doesn't always work. I wouldn't mind the meowing but he's so LOUD!

DWMeowMix

Unread 02-13-2009   #7 (permalink)
catz1

DW what is Vine Esssense ?
Sorry, I think this is the 2nd time I've asked you about a product...but I'm curious.

Gawd, I'm glad my kitty is verbally quiet! But she does stomp through the house in the wee hours. Maggie is a tiny cat for her age at only 6lbs but sounds like a herd of horses! I hear a crash now and then and if I leave my bedroom door open she gets a kick out of playing with my hair/head. Isn't it wonderful the time of night they pick to get crazy? My vet said it had to do with 'cat time' meaning they're up times are diff than ours. They love the dim or dark because they are more sensative to light than we are. Maybe try leaving some of the house lights on??

Unread 02-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
LadyLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post

If you want ideas on Games I will be happy to provide them!
I would really appreciate some ideas for fun games

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I am assuming Grit is neutered, but if he isn't, that should be done right away.

do please stick around and tell us more!
Yes, Grits is neutered.....thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I am really enjoying becoming a cat person....

Unread 02-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hope to see Grit's pics soon...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz1 View Post
DW what is Vine Esssense ?
Sorry, I think this is the 2nd time I've asked you about a product...but I'm curious.
You're fine. Don't worry, I don't mind questions. Vine Essence is a Bach Flower Remedy. It primarily targets those who are domineering, inflexible, tyrannical, and arrogant. Believe you me, it describes my Waco right down to a "T". The Vine Essence redirects his energies making him less forceful and domineering but just as determined. It doesn't change his personality it redirects it or tones it down a notch, if-you-will.

DWMeowMix

Tags
adopted , advice , affectionate , age , apartment , baby , behavior , bite , bites , box , calm , cat , cats , color , crazy , eating , environment , eyes , fur , hey , home , house , kitten , kitty , lost , love , male , meowing , morning , new cat , new to this , night , peeing , personality , play , playing , siamese , sleep , survey , type , vet , vocal , wake , worry , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links