It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
margaret jane

Default my cat is greiving

I had to get my 13 year old cat put to sleep at the vets 3 weeks ago. Now the 12 year old cat is howling mostly at night and looking around for his friend. They were together for 12 years, please please does any one know how to deal with this, I beleive the 12 year old is really fretting badly.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Hi & welcome,

I'm sorry for you kit's loss What was his name?
I know cats greive. Mine for ex. were grieving for only one day.
I'm sure yours will be okay in a couple of days or so.

Take care,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
catz1

Hi
I'm truly sorry for your loss.
I'm not much help but maybe give your 12 yr old lots more attention than usual, it's all I know how to do.

Unread 02-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. I know what you are going through, as when I lost my Bibbs (rb 3/05) my Tolly grieved for so long, after three weeks I become so worried I took him to the vet.

Taking him out seemed to break the thrall of his grief, but he continued to look for his Bibbs for many months, it was heart breaking, even though he still had his beloved Ootay to cuddle and snuggle with and his pal Mazy to run and play with.

It took him about a year to really get back to his old self, and even now, he lost a bit of sparkle that he once had. He's felt pain and grief, and it shows. Anytime I take one of the other cats to to the vet (epsecially Ootay) he is waiting at the door when I get home.

And heaven forbid if I have to leave the cat at the vet (when Ootay had her dental surgery for instance) I had to come home because I needed to be near the phone and Tolly went frantic runnign around looking for Ootay.

Here's what I recommend. First take kitty out of the house. Put him in his carrier and go for a drive, then bring him back.

I only recommend this because, as I said, taking Tolly to the vet seemed to break the worst of the grieving, he still continued to look for and call for her, but started eating again, and taking interest in life again.

I also recommend you get some rescue remedy to help him over the worst, and maybe even a feliway plug in diffuser.

I wish I'd known about these four years ago. I worry a lot about how Tolly will cope with losing Ootay, he is very dependant on her, but she is almost 18 and not in the best of health.

Finally, after installing the feliway and beginning use of the rescue remedy, I suggest you go to your shelter and adpot a couple of young cats. I say two, because they will play with eachother and not bother your older boy, but it will give him something to think about, and distract him from searching for his lost companion.

Please stick arouund, we've all been where you are and understand.

here is info about feliway

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/comfortzone_feliway.htm

and rescue remedy.

http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-15-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 02-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Oh, that's right. I wanted to say & forgot: your kit needs a company to have something to think about; two brothers will distract him without bother him

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

Hi Margaret Jane,

I am so sorry for your loss. I feel your pain.

I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my sweet Hannah on Dec. 12th. She was pair-bonded with one of the others, Dynah. Dynah spent about 3 weeks pacing the house and crying, looking for her. It broke my heart. I have other cats as well, but I went out of my way to pay special attention to Dynah. She's better now, but will still occasionally prowl the halls meowing. Hannah was almost 12, and Dynah is 13. They had been together forever.

Give it some time. Please post back and let us know how it's going.

And the Bridge Kids...♥♥♥Abbey, TC, Burger, Bella, Cali, Sarah, Hannah, DynahKathryn, Baybee and Puppy♥♥♥

Tags
boy , care , cat , cats , crying , eating , health , hey , home , house , kitty , loss , lost , meowing , night , pet , play , rescue , shelter , sleep , surgery , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links