It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Katydyd4063 is on a distinguished road
Default fighting or playing

I'm fostering three cats, 2 female and one male. I've let the male out with each female separately and all he does is chase them, jumps and bites them. I grab him immediately because I'm afraid someone will get hurt. Is this normal behavior? If so, how long should I let it go on? I keep them in separate bedrooms, and the male always wants to play footsie with them under the doors, and both females play back. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Hi & welcome!

I don't think they're fighting but playing only...
How many time they are together? It may take some time for them to get used each one to the others.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Are all the cats spayed/neutered? It definitely is not hostile behavior, but I can understand why it would bother you.

He may just be getting over stimulated with too much down time/isolation.

I suggest you let them all interact together, male and both females, perhaps with two, he'll be able to work off his energy without over taxing one or the other.

Do the females appear to be hurt in anyway when he does this? You might hold off on interfering, and see how far it goes. You may find that the females will give him what for and teach him to stop it all on their own. That's how he will learn to behave himself.

Another thought: another way to intervene is to distract the male with interactive play from your self.

Encourage him to beat up a rolled up newspaper, or stuffed animal rather than the live cats!

please read this first
Unread 02-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks Maya for your reply. I've only had them out together once and freaked out. I guess I need to give it a chance but get scared because I don't know how long to let it go on for. The one female is totally declawed and her and the other female just hiss at each other but the male is just way to aggressive towards them. Is it best in a small room or does it matter?
Unread 02-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you so much for your quick advice. I will try this. It's comforting knowing this is normal behavior.
Unread 02-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
roodsj2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Are all the cats spayed/neutered? It definitely is not hostile behavior, but I can understand why it would bother you.

He may just be getting over stimulated with too much down time/isolation.

I suggest you let them all interact together, male and both females, perhaps with two, he'll be able to work off his energy without over taxing one or the other.

Do the females appear to be hurt in anyway when he does this? You might hold off on interfering, and see how far it goes. You may find that the females will give him what for and teach him to stop it all on their own. That's how he will learn to behave himself.

Another thought: another way to intervene is to distract the male with interactive play from your self.

Encourage him to beat up a rolled up newspaper, or stuffed animal rather than the live cats!
I was wondering the samething. I've had a male cat for three years until we got a female cat. They have both been fixed. It's nice to know that it's normal nehavior. She has set him in his place. He tried to chase her up the kitty condo and she smacked him and knocked him off.

Unread 02-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Well done!!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodsj2000 View Post
I was wondering the samething. I've had a male cat for three years until we got a female cat. They have both been fixed. It's nice to know that it's normal nehavior. She has set him in his place. He tried to chase her up the kitty condo and she smacked him and knocked him off.
haha, that's the way!

please read this first

Tags
advice , aggressive , animal , behavior , bites , cat , cats , female , fighting , fixed , fostering , great , hey , hiss , hurt , kitty , male , mat , nice , play , playing , scared , small , spayed , stop , suggestions

Sponsored Cat Links