It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
wickedlittledoll

Unhappy aggression toward a new cat

I just recently moved in with my boyfriend. I had four cats and he had one. Three of mine are just fine with the new cat, but one (Shadow) is really being aggressive toward the new cat (Katana). I introduced them to each other slowly, as is always recommended. It's been over two months, though, and every single night I'm woken up by them fighting. It's not just a hissing match, it's actual growling and screaming and fur flying.

Last night I tried putting Shadow in a room by himself for the night, but all he did was yowl and tear up the carpet all night. I feel so guilty because he's twice the size of Katana and I don't know how to make him stop terrorizing her.

Does anyone have advice for breaking this behavior?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Amber, maybe I can help you. some cats just do dislike eachother on sight (or scent) but don't give up hope yet.

Many people recommend the vanilla trick. this is simply putting a dot of cooking vanilla (real, not perfume, and not artificial) on each nose and each root of tail. this, theoretically makes all cats smell the same to eachother, thus leveling the playing field.

I have not tried this myself, because I am a believer in Comfort Zone plug in diffuser with Feliway. I swear by these things and they might help your situation too.

Depending on the size of your home, you may need one, two or more. My apartment is only 576 sq feet, including closets, and one is enough.

They aren't exactly cheap, but worth it in my opinion. You can get them for a reasonable price at EntirelyPets Discount Pet meds Pet Supplies & Flea Medicine. do a google search (entirelypets.com coupon) because often they have some coupon promotional code available.

Another product that might help is Rescue Remedy. Less expensive, it can be added to the cat's water, food, or just rubbed on his head.

here are links for information about both.

if you try the vanilla trick first, I'd like to know if it works for you.

<disclaimer: I do not work for, and have no stake in recommending entirelypets.com. I have purchased from them and have been very happy with the service received>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-24-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default forgot to add the links

Feliway plug ins are not just for urine marking problems. I used feliway when I integrated a new cat into my cat household.

I recently decided to reinstall it.

My tiny little old lady Ootay,(18 y.o.) who had not groomed in months (she has a lot of illnesses) began grooming again a few days after I installed it.

to test, I unplugged it, and three days later she started getting scrufty again.

I plugged it back in and she is now clean and fluffy all the time. My ten year old boy who takes phenobarbital for seizures is playing like a kitten, every day now.

My 5 year old don't-touch-me Mazy cat has become cuddly! and my 3 year old Jennie who licks a bald spot on her tummy, and has to have cream put on it when it develops sores has stopped licking and the fur is growing back (she took longer to respond, about a month)

So I am a firm believer in Comfort Zone plug in feliway diffusers.

here are the links for feliway

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/comfortzone_feliway.htm

and rescue remedy

http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-24-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Unread 02-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default one more thing

be sure you have multiple levels in your home, so the cats can be in the same room together, but one can be high up, and one lower down.

please read this first
Unread 02-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
wickedlittledoll

Thanks so much for this advice! My house is pretty big, which is why I was so confused about why they keep fighting. I'll put a comfort zone in the kitchen as well as in the second level hallway, which is where they seem to have their scuffles most often. I'll also try the vanilla trick until the comfort zone arrives in the mail... I'll keep you posted!

Unread 02-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Amber!
Pls be patient & give them more time to get used each one to the other.
It sounds familiar to me...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
crablady

any update on how these kittys are doing? i'm starting to think the aggression in our new guy will never go away.

Unread 03-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crablady View Post
any update on how these kittys are doing? i'm starting to think the aggression in our new guy will never go away.
Aw, it will sort itself out. The timing is unfortunate, when he comes back into the house it will be more of the other cat's smell again. I think the feliway will help. You may need 2 or more depending on the size of your home.

Also, I suggest you plan on using the vanilla trick when you bring him home from boarding. On all of them. Smudgie is going to smell very strange to the others after that.

please read this first
Unread 03-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
crablady

i will try the vanilla when i we get back. This AM, my son forgot to shut one of the bedroom doors and let smudge out of the cage. he immediatley went upstairs and went after Angel.

Unread 03-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Bad kittie!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , aggression , aggressive , apartment , behavior , boy , boyfriend , bullying , carpet , cat , cat's , cats , clean , discount , fighting , flea medicine , food , fur , growling , happy , hey , hissing , home , house , kitten , kitty , licking , links , new cat , night , nose , opinion , playing , problems , rescue , search , smell , stop , test , water

Sponsored Cat Links