It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
crablady

Default going from 2 to 3

Well, i had a looong story written earlier in the day and i swear, i clicked on "submit new thread" but it seems i must not have. Sadly, at the moment i don't have it in me to rewrite the whole long essay that i had. so here's the shorter version.

Smudge started hanging around in dec after i had left a bag of garbage out that he must've gotten into. i started seeing him bolt every time i went out the door. one night i saw him out our back patio door. So i went to the basement window, which is partly hiddedn by the deck and put a dish of food out and a box with a towel under the deck for shelter from the forcasted storm. over the course of about 6 weeks. Smudge went from very hissing at me when i opened the window, to letting me pet him, to absolutely loving the attention. Eventually, i left the window open for a few mintues and in he came! initially scared, and then making a run for each of my other cats Bentley and Angel. he pretty much stuck to the basement where he came in that night and first thing in the morning i called the vet. Got the Feline leukemia and HIV test done, vaccinated, and i convinced them to board him for a few days until the could get him neutered.

Now, I know it's recomended to isolate a new cat for a bit, but there really isn't anywhere in this house that is suitable to do that. I had planned to leave him in the carrier for an hour or so and let the other two check him out, but before i new it, one of the kids had let him out. so, over the next few days, Smudge would go after the other cats every time he saw them. The two have retreated to the upstairs bedrooms and have stayed hidden. At first the nights were peaceful as smudge would stay downstairs, but it wasn't long before we were awaken in the night by cat fights. and then, we started having to keep the bedroom doors closed so that smudge wouldn't go after the other cats. it wasn't so bad during the day cause he would stay with me on the main floor, but getting the kids to bed and at night time became more and more difficult. And the fights frightend my kids. And more than once, there were bloody streaks on my lovely white angels tail.

so, one might get rid of the cat at this point, but.... we really like him. he is incredibly affectionate with people and very tolerant of the kids. My next move was to crate him at night this worked out not too badly at first. he settled down and didn't cry all night. however he has licked himself raw and pulled out clumps of hair in spots. Both stress reactions i believe. Well, we still really do like this cat, and one of my kids cried when i said we might have to find him a new home, so here is what we've done. We bought the biggest dog cage we could find. 48X30x36. he's got food and water, a small litter box, one of those carpeted cubby hole things several toys hanging from the top and a couple of cat nip mice to play with. he is out for almost 2 hours first thing in the morning, and then 2 or 3 hours late afternoon, early evening. it's been 3 days now. Bentley and Angel are starting to come down from the bedrooms a little more. have not gone anywhere near the cage of course. We will be away the week of the 15 and I will be bording Smudge, while Angel and Bentley will be here with a petsitter. After that, I plan to put their food dishes in sight of the cage.

So are there any opinions on my idea? Do you think it will work, or do you think it's a hopeless case. Has anyone experience such severe reactions from a new cat?

Oh.... the ripping the hair out has stopped but the over grooming continues. I do think he was doing a bit of that before I crated him though.

One more question.
How do you go about switching from open feeding to a set meal time. Bentley has always just had a dish of food to eat from. He and angel share no problem although she won't eat if he's at the dish at the same time. i've read however, that in multicat homes a set meal time works better, and i think i'd like to try it. Also seeing as i have a petit little Angel, a senior Bentley, and an over weight Smudge different foods are in order. lol.

i guess the short version didn't turn out to be so short after all. Sorry for rambling, just didn't want to leave out anything. thanks to all for any advice, opinions or comments.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default I agree, never give up on him!

I'm pretty sure you do have another post here, because I remember this story and remember answering it. One of my suggestions was to install some feliway plug ins and get some rescue remedy.

What you've done with the crate is a great idea, though it is very unfortunate that you are going to be gone and he will be boarded, as that will probably undo any progress. Can't be helped though, unless you see great progress between now and then?

They do have to get used to eachother's smells too, some people swear by the vanilla trick, which is putting a dot og cooking vanilla (real, not fake or perfume) on the nose and tail of each cat, so they all smell the same, thus leveling the playing field.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default PS

here is your other thread:

http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/sa...ere-53245.html

As for schedule feeding I recommend doing two small meals half hour (or an hour if you have time) apart in the morning and in the evening, and then a snack somewhere in between, if possible.

to make sure they are getting the correct amounts, you can premeasure each cat's quota at the beginning of the day, and feed from those premeasured amounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default PS again

now I see, you did have another long one which has not yet been replied to...since this one is now active, to avoid confusion I suggest you delete the orgianal one that is here:

http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/ca...ing-53247.html

please read this first
Unread 03-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
crablady

lol... yes i had made my itroduction post, but then i did one with much more detail about what's been going on. it was not there. i swear it. But, now it is here. lol... hopeful there's a moderator or someone that can delete one of them.

Thanks again for your advice. i don't know if the petease is the exact same product as the feliway, but it's the same plug in idea. i'd have to order feliway online. i'll try to find a product ingredient list to compare the two. i'll try the vanilla trick too. Angel and Bentley ventured a little further downstairs last night and bolted back up when they saw smudge move in his cage.

yes, our ski trip has been planned for a few months so we will be going away. i'm hoping though, that Angel and Bentley may regain some comfort in the rest of their home again.

Unread 03-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
abbie1234

of you are going away you should take them to a catterey or let some one u no look after them

Unread 03-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
crablady

What's a cattery?

i have an awesome petsitter for Angel and Bentley (and my many other pets). But i am not going to leave smudge alone in this house unsupervised. he attacks the other two cats and has drawn blood. They are now scared to death he will be boarded with a reputable boarder that i trust completely

Unread 03-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
abbie1234

its a hotel for cats

Unread 03-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
crablady

sorry about all my double posts. don't know if it's problems with my puter or with the site but they don't show up and then later they appear.

I guess we don't have cattery's here. i completely trust the kennel i use. he'll be in good hands, and my other two will be safe.

Unread 03-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
abbie1234

tell me where you live and i can say if one is near by

Tags
advice , affectionate , box , car , cat , cat nip , cats , clean , dog , fights , food , great , grooming , heat , hey , hissing , home , homes , house , kennel , litter , love , loving , morning , new cat , new home , nice , night , pet , play , playing , problem , problems , question , raw , scared , senior , shelter , small , story , stress , test , toys , vacation , water , weight , window , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links