It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2009   #1 (permalink)
belladonna

Default Kitten causing problems again!

Help guys! It's my eight month old kitten, Hunter. He's a big boy now, but this bigness equals greediness. He eats, and eats. I don't overfeed him, two pouches of felix a day plus dry food, but he goes through periods of the day, where he will miaow, and miaow, and miaow. He follows me around the house, tries to nibble my feet and scavanges around the kitchen floor. Tonight, i am not kidding you, he started trying to eat a COIN, and was licking his pillow. This is slightly worrying me. He has also begun to hiss at his sister the last few days- something he hasnt done since he was tiny. I tell him off and put him into solitary confinement (the laundry :P) to finish his dinner when he does that - he's getting the messsage slowly i think though - no hissing at tonights meal.....

He is also scratching the stairs, they are wooden and two of the top ones where he likes to nap are getting ruined! You can see the wood splinters and he's scratched through the top surface! These are nice stairs and they are being vandalised!!!! I spend quite a bit of time with both of them, cuddles, play etc but i can't be there all the time to discipline him, and i dont want all the time i spend with him to be discipline. But, even though he's a lovely natured, gentle cat with us, (you can roll him around the carpet, grab him from behind etc and he doesn't mind) he's so naughty most of the time, doesn't listen and i am at my wits end!

I think thats he's probably got worms or needs his balls chopped off or he's spoilt. or all of the above. but maybe its just his personality. We keep meaning to take him in for the snip, but there has been no time. Also we want to let him out into the garden, but the garden is in a state and needs clearing and a new fence etc. Then theres the problem of the cat flap in the kitchen where the budgie is....im delaying leting him out for all these reasons....but until i get the time to do these things i need some advice on how to control my naughty furball! thanks for reading! bella

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The very first thing that needs to be done is to get him neutered. And the female spayed if she isn't.

Don't use your hands to play with him. Always use toys. This includes rolling him around on the floor etc. you can still pull him around, if that's what he likes, but hold a stuffed animal in your hand and have him latch onto that.

Get him his own furniture to scratch and teach him to use it. When you catch him scratching on something he's not supposed to, pick him up and bring him over to his condo. Scratch on it yourself so he knows what to do. Hold his paws gently and make them do the scratching motions.

When you play with him use the condo, as a Game Base.

If you think he has parasites, he needs to be brought to the vet for a check up, bring a stool sample, and the vet will give you some dewormer medicine. If he was worms, the female does too, they are contagious.

Also get a spray bottle, with water, and use it when he scratches on something he's not supposed to scratch on. Avoid spraying water in his face.

Neutering him, and spaying the female (if she isn't) should be a priority.

Installing some feliway plug in diffusers, and /or using some rescue remedy in their food or water will help, also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
belladonna

hi, thanks for the reply!
the only problem is, although good advice, is that some of the things you've suggested don't work with him. He likes water, so the spray bottle won't work, i've actually thrown a cup of water over him and he simply shakes himself, doesn't move, and carries on being naughty! It seems to be that by the time you've filled the bottle up, you go to discipline him and he's stopped being naughty anyway. There is a balloon air pump i use, which he hates, but again, sometimes i cant always get to him with it before he stops ( you always have to catch them in the act, or they don't learn, or think you're just being nasty to them, right?) i also try tapping him on the nose, using a low voice etc. But he usually goes back to the place and is naughty.

What is unusual about him (aside from liking water) is that he wont generally scratch the furniture, but WILL seek out every wooden thing in the house, and scratch that. I've bought them a post, the girl uses it fine, and i tried to get him to use his post, but he either repeatedly runs off, doesn't pay attention, or tries to bat my paw, which hurts! Especially when i have tried to take his paws and make him scratch the post...he thinks it is a game, and tries to play with me!

Since he was tiny, i've made sure not to play rough with him, only use toys (he has enough of them) and no hands (he has one of those sticks with feathers attached to the end) that he lo0ves being dragged around with. I try not to roll him around the carpet with my hands too much, though he does just tend to lie there, doing nothing, and its really quite funny :P He additionally enjoys having his belly rubbed/tickled (again, unusual for a cat!)

I think your idea about playing with him near his post is a good thing, i've occasionally seen him scratch it, i really think he knows he is supposed to use it, but purposefully tries to wind me up by scratching the stairs! What else can i do? its a bit annoying as we've followed all the proper advice and how to deal with a naughty kitten, but he defies the odds!

It probably is a case of he needs to be neutered and its simple as that. He might be frustrated not being able to go outside, but our house is big and he has plenty of room to run around.....he's a very manly sort of cat, and perhaps that doesn't help him.

What do felaway plugs and rescue remedy do?

Unread 03-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Cool Hunter - Cool !

Hi Bella, I think Hunter isn't just naughty (though I must admit he is a bit naughty), but he is also a genius ! He knows how to piss you off. Maybe he is just jealous or wants to attract your attention. But it is not strange for a cat to interact with human, as my Lady Fergie also enjoys my rubbing her belly or caressingly cuddle her while sitting on my lap. Whenever I comes home, she will roll herself on the floor, belly up, waiting for me to pick her up and rub her belly. That's her personality, I think. And both Fergie and Princess Tiger will always send me to the door when it's time for me to go to the church, and wait for my arrival at home by the window. But my 9 months old boy, Earl Blue has a cool and gentle personality, sleeps and eats a lot, sometimes play with his toy when he's awake. Nothing to worry about, I guess, Bella, but I think Acer is right, get him neutered ! Wish you all the best !
Unread 03-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I apologize for not following up on your questions sooner.

to save some time my answers are in your quoted post in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
hi, thanks for the reply!
the only problem is, although good advice, is that some of the things you've suggested don't work with him. He likes water, so the spray bottle won't work, i've actually thrown a cup of water over him and he simply shakes himself, doesn't move, and carries on being naughty! It seems to be that by the time you've filled the bottle up, you go to discipline him and he's stopped being naughty anyway.

Sigh...it's too true that some cats aren't fazed by the spray bottle.

There is a balloon air pump i use, which he hates, but again, sometimes i cant always get to him with it before he stops

hmmm, in this case maybe an "air canister" may work for him, as it appears it's the noise that is effective. You know those canned air things people use to clean their computers? Don't ever spray it directly at him though as it contains chemicals. A quck blast or two whenever you see him going at the stairs should be sufficient

( you always have to catch them in the act, or they don't learn, or think you're just being nasty to them, right?)

yes, if they aren't doing it anymore they will not associate anything you do with the naughtiness.

i also try tapping him on the nose, using a low voice etc. But he usually goes back to the place and is naughty.

I don't like any kind of physical discipline for animals. I'm sure you aren't hurting Hunter, but...they are so little and reliant on us big humans, that even a nose tap is not something I would use.

What is unusual about him (aside from liking water) is that he wont generally scratch the furniture, but WILL seek out every wooden thing in the house, and scratch that. I've bought them a post, the girl uses it fine, and i tried to get him to use his post, but he either repeatedly runs off, doesn't pay attention, or tries to bat my paw, which hurts! Especially when i have tried to take his paws and make him scratch the post...he thinks it is a game, and tries to play with me!

Since he likes wood, getting or making him a wooden post may be the answer for him. If you are handy you can build something yourself. A thick log (at least 3 feet high) attached to a sturdy base, and also maybe a 4 x 4 or another log, lying flat (since he seems to like to scratch flat) be sure to use wood that has already been seasoned (dried out)If you know anyone who heats with wood, they may have something for you

Since he was tiny, i've made sure not to play rough with him, only use toys (he has enough of them) and no hands (he has one of those sticks with feathers attached to the end) that he lo0ves being dragged around with. I try not to roll him around the carpet with my hands too much, though he does just tend to lie there, doing nothing, and its really quite funny :P He additionally enjoys having his belly rubbed/tickled (again, unusual for a cat!)

I have three of four who love their yummy tummies rubbed!

I think your idea about playing with him near his post is a good thing, i've occasionally seen him scratch it, i really think he knows he is supposed to use it, but purposefully tries to wind me up by scratching the stairs! What else can i do? its a bit annoying as we've followed all the proper advice and how to deal with a naughty kitten, but he defies the odds!

He may scratch the stairs to get your attention sometimes. Keep the canister hidden when you squirt it. All he will hear is the scary hssst, he won't associate it with you.

You also might want to get some double sided tape, like sticky paws, to protect the stair risers while he is learning to use his own wooden post. here is one example:

Search Results for sticky paws

It probably is a case of he needs to be neutered and its simple as that. He might be frustrated not being able to go outside, but our house is big and he has plenty of room to run around.....he's a very manly sort of cat, and perhaps that doesn't help him.

neutering should be done as soon as possible. the longer you delay the more trouble you will have with him, and the harder it will be to retrain him after wards. It doens't matter how much room he has to run, when the hormones are active what he wants to do is mate and his frustration will cause him to destroy your home, and eventually start marking it with pee.

Also, if the girl isn't spayed, you will be having kittens soon, as cats don't care if they are litter mates.

She needs to be spayed, not just to prevent kittens, but to prevent the same frustrations as Hunter, and a deadly illness called pyometra (infection of the uterus) females get.

What do felaway plugs and rescue remedy do?

I have added the links to info on these two products to my signature, so you can read about them. I ahve great faith in both products.
I hope I have been helpful, and again, apologize for the delay in replying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , animal , bat , belly , boy , care , carpet , cat , clean , color , dry , dry food , female , food , fun , funny , fur , furniture , game , girl , great , hey , hiss , hissing , home , house , infection , kitten , licking , links , mat , neutering , nice , nose , paw , pee , personality , play , playing , problem , problems , rescue , save , scratch , scratching , search , toys , type , water , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links