It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
mollymoo86

Default help!! cats + baby

I just found out I'm pregnant, and I feel like my relationship with my cats has flown out the window. Why? Because my first duty is to protect and care for myself and my baby right now and I feel my cats are being positively hazardous. When it was just me and hubby, I didn't care much, but now it's driving me nuts. They don't know any boundaries - they climb all over everything and walk around wherever they please. It's so hard for me trying to keep everything sanitary and safe - and even more so when the baby comes- when I have cat feet everywhere. Does anyone have any advice on teaching them boundaries? I want to teach them that some places are off limits. They are also bad about just sticking their face or paw right in our food, or at least trying too. I feel like I spend half of my time doing everything trying to shoo cats away!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It sounds like they've never had any boundaries or rules at all!

But, don't despair, you can train them at any age, and you are wise to start now.

I first recommend putting in a couple of Feliway plug in diffusers that may help them be more open to change. This will also help them when the baby comes.

Remember not to get angry at them, as this is the way they have lived all their lives.

Get a some spray bottles that have a nice long stream, keep them filled with water, and employ them any time the cats are getting on counters, or stealing your food or whatever the habit is you want to break.

Set one place for their meals, feed them when you sit down to yours and do not let them jump up on you while you are eating. If you have to bodily remove them to another room, do so. They'll get the idea after a while, but patience and consistency is very important.

Yelling at them won't teach them. And of course never ever hit them. I'm not saying you have, it is a general remark.

When you bring in baby things, and set up the nursery, teach them that these are not cat beds. If you find a cat in the bassinet, or up on the nursery changing table, spray them. You don't have to say anything, just a good squirt or two. (avoid the face of course)

Same if you find them in the nursery. You don't want to have to keep the door closed all the time so they need to learn now that the things in this room are not for cats.

Oh, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I know many people who have had new babies with established cats in the house. Including all my sisters! (when we were born, also, the cats were there first!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Concats on your pregnancy but... what's the problem? I know lots of women that had/have babies & cats & nothing wrong happened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Congrats Mum to be,don't worry Hannah,just do everything my friend says above,and you'll be fine.You're not the first love,people do have cats and babies.I have always managed.xxxxx

Tags
advice , age , angry , art , babies , baby , beds , care , cats , eating , food , found , hey , house , love , nice , paw , pregnancy , pregnant , problem , stealing , water , why? , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links