It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

voldo37 is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten scratching everything

Although I bought Sampson a nice tall Cat tree with a 40inch scatching post - he scratches everything. He follows me around and when I stop he starts scratching whatever object is nearby - like the kitchen cabinets, my dresser or any chair. What can I do to get him to use the scratching post?? I tried putting a little catnip on his scratching post but he doesn't really get into catnip the way some cats do. Any thoughts??

thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi!

Sometimes, buying the cat tree is not enough. Something must draw Sampson's attention, maybe he doesn't understand the purpose of the tree you bought for him. You can buy liquid catnip in the pet store & apply...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Cats are the original copy cats

You have to teach Sampson to use the scratching post.

Every time (every single time) you see him scratching on something else, take him over to his cat tree and very gently holding his little paws, make the scratching motions.

Also, do it yourself! pretend you are a mama cat (you ARE his mama after all) and when you are on the floor playing with him, crawl over to the scratching post and start scratching on it with your fingers.

Involve the tree in Games. When you are playing String On A Stick, drag the String up the tree so he has to jump and climb on it, toss his Crumpled Paper or Fur Mouse so that it lands on the tree, so he has to leap and climb to get to it.

This will help him understand that this is HIS furniture.

Also, if you can, having a tree in every room he uses will help. Scratching posts (if you use posts instead of condos or trees) must be sturdy and at least 3 feet high.

Cats like different textures. If the one you already have is carpet, for instance, try a sisal and a cardboard. Give him one that lies flat and see how he likes that, too.

Again, show him how to use it by doing it yourself. Cats ARE the original copy cats.

Kittens usually aren't susceptible to catnip until they are at least six months old. I don't remember how old Sampson is?

Also, not all catnip is created equal. Potency could be at issue. You want a real good brand like Maine Coon Cat Nip or a brand that states "leaves and tops" on the package. Organic is better.

some cats never respond to catnip, but all of mine love it.

please read this first
Unread 03-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Scratching things

So, I too need to pretend that I am a cat ? If this is a smart trick, I'll try it out... Yes, you are right, buying a scratching post doesn't mean that our carpets & furniture are scratch-free. Thanks Acer for always being so informative.
Unread 03-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

The catnip would do the trick if you apply it on the tree.

Unread 03-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Harlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
So, I too need to pretend that I am a cat ? If this is a smart trick, I'll try it out... Yes, you are right, buying a scratching post doesn't mean that our carpets & furniture are scratch-free. Thanks Acer for always being so informative.
Totally pretend you are a cat it is most important to have a tail. A rope or string will do. You just tuck one end down your pants and let the other end hang down.

Just kidding, have fun with your cat/kitten. I know I have lived with scrating and you do have to keep working at it, but also remember to show the cat how much you love it when it is being good.

Too bad we people do not also so that, showing love, to the other human beings in the world.

Unread 03-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Talking Funny

Thanks Harlan for your early morning funny joke, of course I was also kidding, but I really would love trying the "tail trick" and wonder what will happen And don't worry, I love my furbabes more than my furniture, I suggest that you also read the joke Maya posted at the kitty humor section about the "fur"niture.
Unread 03-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Hehe, loved the "fur"niture

Tags
art , carpet , cat , cat nip , catnip , cats , cool , free , fun , funny , fur , furniture , games , hey , humor , informative , joke , kitten , kitty , love , maine coon , maine coon cat , morning , mouse , nice , pet , playing , scratching , smart , stop , thoughts , worry

Sponsored Cat Links