It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
jddvdfan

Default Please help me with my cats behaivor.

I need help with this or answers for it. My cat I took last year to the vet because sometimes when he scratches him self he will cut to deep and cut him self and will bleed then eventually become a scab and fade back in with hair. So I thought it was ear mites or fleas. It was neither when I took him to the vet last year. They gave him a shot that could make him stop scratching for long period of time. But I guess it wore off because a couple of months ago he started scratching again. I haven't changed his food or the litter in his litter box. Every time he does this it makes me worry because of the cuts from the scratching which are always on his neck or his head. When I took him to the vet they said it wasn't ear mites or fleas but they said it was like skin irritation to the microchip that he has in his shoulder from what the animal shelter put in him when he was younger. So I was wondering if you can give me some advice what I can get some medicine like ear cleaning stuff that will stop the scratching on his neck? I can't take him back to the vet because I can't afford it. Any suggestions will help out a lot thanks. Yes, he is a inside cat only.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Skin irritation

This is really weird. As I thought, it should have had something to do with a type of skin irritation. I know how you feel... Poor pussy ... Have you ever thought of him having food allergy or any kind of allergy ? I feel sorry for him to suffer like that, I sincerely hope that you will be able to tackle this irritating problem ASAP !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hi & welcome,

As Irene said before, it is weird. I'm sure the microchip is the cause of his suffering. If this continues you will need to have it removed, don't see any other solution...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
This is really weird. As I thought, it should have had something to do with a type of skin irritation. I know how you feel... Poor pussy ... Have you ever thought of him having food allergy or any kind of allergy ? I feel sorry for him to suffer like that, I sincerely hope that you will be able to tackle this irritating problem ASAP !
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for adopting from a shelter!

I'm sorry you are having this problem with your kitty.

I also think it may be a food allergy. Definitely some kind of allergy as the prednisone shot helped.

What food are you feeding him? He may need to be changed to a food that does not contain certain things.

What kind of litter do you use? perhaps he is allergic to a "deodorant" in the litter.

Or it may be, as Maya said, an allergy to the microchip.

I'll do a little research and see if I can come up with anything on that. In the meantime you can trim his claws to keep them from being so sharp, and be sure to keep them very clean so he doesn't get infections.

Thank you for adopting from a shelter!

please read this first
Unread 03-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default here are some links that you may find helpful

Info on food allergies (in some the food allergy section is lower down the page)

Food Allergies & Intolerance in Cats

Is Your Pet Itching for Relief?

Feline Allergies ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

and I found this at this link about microchips:

Microchip Info

(quoted from link):

Could my animal be allergic to the chip?

The microchip is inert, smooth and biocompatible. There is virtually no chance of the body developing an allergy or trying to reject the microchip after being properly injected.

In addition a feliway plug in or two, or some rescue remedy may help to at least reduce stress. I have links to info on them in my signature (below).

please read this first
Unread 03-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
jddvdfan

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll take care of it asap. I need to go to the store and find some medicine for him. How could I get his microchip removed? I guess I would have to make a appointment for it. I will look at all the links they will help a lot thanks!

Unread 03-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddvdfan View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll take care of it asap. I need to go to the store and find some medicine for him. How could I get his microchip removed? I guess I would have to make a appointment for it. I will look at all the links they will help a lot thanks!
Based on what I have read, I don't think the microchip is the problem. To have it removed, you would have to take him to the vet and he would have to be under general anesthesia.

Switching him (gradually) to a food that does not contain any of the ingredients in your current food may help determine if it is a food allergy.

A hydrocortisone cream may help with itching, but please ask your vet before using it on your cat.

There are other medications,more expensive prescription meds, that can give him relief, ask your vet.

if you are not happy with your vet's diagnosis and treatment I strongly urge you to seek a second opinion from another vet.

I know money is always an issue, but this is becoming a quality of life issue for your beloved furbaby, I think. I know I would be going to another vet right about now.

Please do keep us updated.
Unread 03-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
jddvdfan

Yeah, I was going to call my vet first before I was going to get anything on my own. I would know better than that. See what other good options they are. Well my cats been eating the same food I've been getting him for a while now like several months after I first got him. So I really don't know what the problem is.

Unread 03-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

cats can develop sudden allergies just like people.

also, the manufacturer may have made a change in the food. A cheaper ingredient, perhaps, or a different supplier.

Have there been any other changes? Change in litter, laundry detergent, someone's perfume or lotion? new carpeting?

Perhaps you've started using some kind of air freshener? Cats systems are so sensitive, something you wouldn't even think of could be the culprit.

Does this cat go outside?

Some rescue remedy might help reduce stress, and perhaps that would cut down on the scratching.

My signature has a link with info on that.

please read this first
Unread 03-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
jddvdfan

No my cat never goes outside. I haven't changed anything at all like I said before in my earlier post. So I really don't know what's going on. Calling the vet tomorrow.

Tags
addition , advice , allergic , allergies , allergy , animal , bites , bleed , box , care , cat , cats , changed , clean , cleaning , cool , cut , dogs , eating , fleas , food , hey , links , litter , litter box , mites , morning , night , opinion , pills , problem , scab , scratching , shelter , stop , stress , suggestions , test , type , vet , weird , worry

Sponsored Cat Links