It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
crablady

Default analysis: sorry, long post again

follow up on this thread http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/ca...3-a-53253.html

So we had our four days away, Smudge was kenneled for a total of 1 week. We ended up leaving him with the vet instead of the kennel as they decided to start him on elavil (feline happy pills!) also found out we can get feliway from the vet in Canada (costs a bloody fortune) and they use it with all their kenneld cats. so while at home with out smudgie, Angel and Bentley had the time of their lives, roaming the house and being normal cats again.

Smudgies return home...... cats in hiding again. Have moved their food bowl with in site of Smudgies cage. They are coming out a little more often but bolt their way upstairs at the site of him.

the other sunny after noon Angel went outside (she loves basking in the sun) hubby let her in and Smudge jumped off the couch and ran right after her.

usually when Smudge is out of his cage we have the bedroom doors shut where they hide out. Some one left a door open and he went after Bentley. they were both on the bed, Bentley cowering in fear. i went and sat with them and managed to pet them both for a few minutes before it started again. Bentley continued to growl and look fearful. Smudge was quiet with a few tail swishes.

So yesterday, with smudge in his cage, i managed to get a good hold of each cat, A and B, one at a time and hold on to them and sat petting and stroking and talking soothingly to them about 5 feet from Smudgies cage. They each did stop fighting me but neither really relaxed in my arms. They were quiet some of the time but spent most of the time growling at Smudge, with the occasional hiss. they seemed to enjoy my chin scratches and ear rubs but nither let out a purr. When i finally loosen my grip Angel bolted up stairs, but Bentley hopped onto the arm of the couch and sat with a low growl for a bit. he actually hung around the livingroom for a bit. quiet for a while and then a low growl for a bit.

During this time while holding each cat with Smudge in the cage, Smudgie sat realatively quiet, a few meows. Actually curled up and slept while i held B . his posture was relaxed, ( a bit of tail swishing with Angel) but really didn't appear to be on guard or show any signs of aggresion.

i know the tail swishing is a sign of aggression, but i'm starting to wonder, is Smudge really the guilty party? or is his chasing the other cats simply a response to their aggressive behaviour towards him?

Still hoping this will work.. but losing hope. have a can of feliway, but ordered the difusers to be sent to US friends house and she's away this week.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
aggression , aggressive , art , behavior , behaviour , cats , fighting , food , found , friends , groom , growl , growling , happy , hey , hiding , hiss , home , house , joy , love , pet , pills , stop , vet

Sponsored Cat Links